Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Btn Coldstream Guards 22 December 1914

n252901

Hi all,

Whilst trying to flesh out the life and times of my Great Grandfather Lawrence Allen 1036 in the Coldstream Guards, am trying to find out a bit more detail on what he was doing when he was shot in the arm and head and injured . Near La Bassee on 22 December 1914, I have consulted Ross-of-Bladensburg, and learned that: On the 21 st and 22nd December 1914 the 1st Btn Coldstream guards were deployed along with the Camerons just ahead of them near La Bassee to take a fence close to Rue d'Ouvert. On the 21st/22nd the Coldstream Guards took heavy damage about 200 casualties, my Great Grandfather being one of them I presume.

Are the war diaries for his unit, available? digitally online? would they provide much more detail, or are they likely to be one of the more brief sources of information on him, or would the fact that they sustained heavy casualties that day mean they had little time for diary writing, or would they create more entries to document the events?

A quick google has not provided the answer, perhaps I am using the wrong search terms.

Any quick pointers for a growing newbie. (I am awaiting his file from the regimental archive)

Many thanks as always

Jack

Jack have you tried to contact the Guards HQ at Birdcage Walk, they should have his service papers - about £30.00 last time I checked. In the meantime I'll look at what I have on him.

Nothing specific from me.

1st CG

At this time the British line before La Bassee, one of the German strong points of the German front covering Lille, was held by the Indian Corps and on the 20th December 1914 The Germans attacked in great force mainly against the village of Givenchy which commanded all the country to the west. The village was captured although later in the day part to the south and east was recovered and the 1st (Guards) Brigade was ordered south at 5 p.m. on the 20th December marching some 20 miles to Bethune and then at 12 noon on the 21st the Brigade marched East on the Bethune/La Bassee road to the south of the La Bassee Canal, the Cameron Highlanders leading followed by the Coldstream Guards to Pont Fixe, Givenchy. Brigade orders were issued on route to attack Rue d'Ouvert from Pont Fixe, cooperating if possible with 3rd Infantry Brigade on the left. The Guards Brigade attacked at 3 p.m. with the Coldstream Guards and the Cameron Highlanders in the first line. A few shells caused one or two casualties in the village while crossing the Pont Fixe, with this exception the enemy's artillery fire caused no damage. As soon as the attack started the leading companies came under enfilade rifle and machine gun fire but owing to a heavy hailstorm which came on right in the enemy's face, casualties were not heavy. Three Companies occupied the old French trenches on the reverse slope of the spur about 300 yards West of the trenches evacuated by the Indian troops on the 19th December, now held by the Germans. Lieutenant Colonel John Ponsonby established his H.Q. in the end house of Givenchy Village with a Company in trenches nearby. A patrol under 2nd Lieutenant Mills went forward to the end of Givenchy village and reported it clear of the enemy so far as the Church. Attempts were made overnight to straighten up the line and get in touch with the Gloucesters on the left and the Cameron Highlanders on the right but proper touch could not be obtained. Lieutenant Colonel Ponsonby assisted by Captain Daniels 15th Sikhs made a reconnaissance and found a Company of the London Scottish on the left rear of No 2 Company of the Coldstream Guards which were almost immediately withdrawn. At 5.45 a.m. on the 22nd December the three companies in the forward trenches attacked the German trench along the road leading from Givenchy to Chapelle St. Roche took it but being without any support on their flanks they were bombed out of it about 8 a.m. and retired to the North of the ruins of the church in Givenchy having lost over 50% of their strength. With the Scots Guards and the London Scottish holding the remaining parts of Givenchy so began the daily routine of siege warfare in this area of Givenchy. At 9 p.m. on the 22nd December the Battalion was relieved by the Black Watch and marched back to billets in a village south of the canal at Pont Fixe, billets being farm buildings around a dirty midden, the weather being wet and cold. The following day the Battalion moved to Cambrin to Brigade Reserve returning to the Givenchy trenches on the 26th December until the 28th December when the Battalion moved to billets in Bethune.

Many thanks for such speedy replies.

I have applied for his records (the £30 fee ones) as my late grandmother returned alot of his photos, papers, and medals to the regiment for safekeeping/archiving in 1992. So I know there is some information stored in his record, but its only been a few weeks, and they say it can take a while.

Thanks again.

Jack

Jack,

If you get any documents back be sure to post some images and details back up on here, always interested in any of the 1st CG men.