Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inprisonment with hard labour

rendellers

Previous thread on the subject here: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/151723-inprisonment-with-hard-labour/

And another here: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/55845-military-prisons/

Hello Zanah, and welcome to the Forum!

There is a technical point here, in that the maximum term of imprisonment, with or without hard labour, was two years. Sentences of three years or more were for what used to be called "penal servitude", which might also have involved hard labour. The first topic referred to by seaJane lists some of the (civil) prisons to which he might have been sent.

The hard labour would often involve rock-breaking and the like, but picking oakum and sewing mailbags were (and possibly still are) variations involved for forgers and pickpockets, because of the inevitable damage to their fingers.

Do you have a particular case in mind? Although the actual trial transcripts of FGCMs have not generally been retained, there are registers in the National Archives of trials and their outcomes.

Ron

Hi, Ron:

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

Yes, I should have been clearer in my original post. I am thinking of an officer being sentenced to three years of penal servitude, which includes hard labour.

I do not have a particular case in mind. I am writing a series of post-WWI novels and this is the background I want for my hero. It's terribly important that I get the details right.

Thank you again for your help.

Zanah

Hello again Zanah

One other point you should know about is that, under Section 44 of the Army Act, an officer sentenced to either penal servitude or imprisonment was also to be sentenced to be cashiered. This meant not only that he was dismissed from the Army, but that he was also declared unable to serve His Majesty again in any capacity.

Good luck with your books!

Ron