Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Simeon Charles Quick

malteser

Hi there,

Wondered if any one can help me. This is one of my soldiers 'Simeon Charles Quick' although I don't understand his role - he has no service number and was on a ship with questions in the correspondance section about what medals he was entitled to. Can any one explain of it in laymans terms...!! Will attach a second post with the correspondance section - help much appreciated!

Correspondance section

post-32402-007204300 1282316838.jpg

post-32402-023220500 1282317041.jpg

Looks like he was a Commandant of a Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D.). An interesting informative piece below, one thing though he was not a Soldier and did not hold Military Rank.

http://oldcatton.com...on_hospital.pdf

The Question is being asked "What Medals and Ribands members of the V.A.D. serving on Carisbrook Castle 1914 are entitled to".

The Carisbrook Castle was a Hospital ship and has been discussed on here before, here's a link to the thread:

http://1914-1918.inv...showtopic=83935

Here's a bit about the ship:

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Ships/HMHSCarisbrookCastle.html

Sam

Thank you the response - I've found the Red Cross Archives and Museum do a free look up on people serving as part of V.A.D's so I've sent his details to them to hopefully get a little more detail back. Thank you for taking the time to reply!

No-one seems to have commented on the fact that one of the medals he's entitled to is listed on the MIC; he was awarded the MBE, presumably (though not necessarily) in respect of his WW! service. So a quick check of the London Gazette should turn something up.

Edit; there's no mention of there being any decision on the award of any campaign medals. As an 'officer' he may have had to apply for them, and maybe he didn't so there was never any further action on this. So long as he was on the establishment of a unit serving in a theatre of war (his unit was the VAD, the "Carisbrook Castle" was serving at sea) then he should have been entitled to a 1914-15 star, British war Medal and Victory medal.

No-one seems to have commented on the fact that one of the medals he's entitled to is listed on the MIC; he was awarded the MBE, presumably (though not necessarily) in respect of his WW! service. So a quick check of the London Gazette should turn something up.

Edit; there's no mention of there being any decision on the award of any campaign medals. As an 'officer' he may have had to apply for them, and maybe he didn't so there was never any further action on this. So long as he was on the establishment of a unit serving in a theatre of war (his unit was the VAD, the "Carisbrook Castle" was serving at sea) then he should have been entitled to a 1914-15 star, British war Medal and Victory medal.

I was wondering what the MBE was for and where to look. The London Gazette hasn't helped though - I've looked through years just outside of WW1 as well as within and no luck. A few 'Quick's receiving them but not my Quick so far. Thanks for the further medal related. If unrequested these medals don't 'exist' in actuality do they. Thank you once again!

Malteser,

Your Local History Centre may have copies of newspapers of the Great War and after. They may even have an index of articles/people mentioned. Simeon would surely have got a mention for his M.B.E.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thank you for this bit of information - THAT would be why! So easy to get it wrong! Thanks once again folks - I did however learn a lot about the VAD's so to every cloud...