Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Restoring a medal

johnnyg

Hi, I recently came into possession of a WW1 service medal belonging to one of my relatives. The clasp & ribbon are gone alas. It would appear that the medal was carried about in a purse or pocket as its quite well worn.

I'm still in 2 mind on whether to restore it or keep it as it is.

If I do go down the restoration route can anybody recommend a dealer, in Ireland preferably, where I can source a clasp & ribbon.

Thanks

J

Hi:

When you say "The clasp & ribbon are gone", do you mean the suspension pin and ribbon, or 1914 bar?

Could you describe the medal?

Regards,

Dave

J,

The first thing is to check out entitlement,per his M.I.C.

Assuming Clasp recorded,Someone on the Forum will help you.

Again with Ribbons,someone will point you in the right direction.

The problem we have,was the Medal,Clasp and Ribbon worn out because he was a returned Soldier or are you seeking entitlement,that was not earned?

George

Hi:

When you say "The clasp & ribbon are gone", do you mean the suspension pin and ribbon, or 1914 bar?

Could you describe the medal?

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,

My mistake in using the term clasp, I did mean the suspension pin & ribbon. I've checked the MIC & there is no other entitlement.

The medal is the British War medal.

Sorry for the delay in replying but I was travelling,

Thanks

J

J,

The first thing is to check out entitlement,per his M.I.C.

Assuming Clasp recorded,Someone on the Forum will help you.

Again with Ribbons,someone will point you in the right direction.

The problem we have,was the Medal,Clasp and Ribbon worn out because he was a returned Soldier or are you seeking entitlement,that was not earned?

George

Hi George,

See my reply to Dave, incorrect use of terms, I'm not seeking any extra entitlements just wondering how I could get the medal restored.

As I said in my original post I'm still not 100% decided on whether to have it restored or not. I like the sentimentality of someone carrying it around with them as a keepsake instead of sitting in a box.

Thanks

J

Hi,

are you able to supply his name, number etc?

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply but as per my other replies I was using the incorrect terms.

Thanks

J

Hi J

The approach is a personal one. I would get a length of BWM ribbon on Ebay and let it go at that. I think it would be unusual (happy to be corrected on this!) for a BWM to be worn on its own. At the very least it should be accompanied by a Mercantile Marine or Victory medal. Suspending it on a single pin would look odd to me.

Having said all that, single pins are also available on Ebay (search for "Medal Brooch Bar".

Totally up to you!

Dave

Hi J

The approach is a personal one. I would get a length of BWM ribbon on Ebay and let it go at that. I think it would be unusual (happy to be corrected on this!) for a BWM to be worn on its own. At the very least it should be accompanied by a Mercantile Marine or Victory medal. Suspending it on a single pin would look odd to me.

Having said all that, single pins are also available on Ebay (search for "Medal Brooch Bar".

Totally up to you!

Dave

Hi,

Service abroad up until 1920 (Russia I think) qualified you for the BWM without any other award.

Regards

Cam.

Hi,

Service abroad up until 1920 (Russia I think) qualified you for the BWM without any other award.

Regards

Cam.

Thanks for the clarification Cam. My use of the word "unusual" rather than "impossible" was deliberate!

We live and learn...

Thanks for the clarification Cam. My use of the word "unusual" rather than "impossible" was deliberate!

We live and learn...

Thanks Dave & Cam,

He was entitled to the victory medal as well but God knows where that is. I'm just glad to have finally gotten one of them.

Thanks for the advice, I'll ponder it a while longer before I do anything.

By chance yesterday in Dublin I came across a stall in the Georges St Arcade selling coins & medals. They have the ribbon for €10.

I don't know if this is good value but at least it's convenient.

All the best

J

My wife's grandfather's pair were in a sorry state. The suspension ring on the victory medal was bent, there were no ribbons and the suspension bar on the BWM was missing. I wanted the pair properly mounted so restoration was required. I looked around to find a replacement BWM so that I could use the suspension bar but the cost was prohibitive (around £25). In the end I bought a genuine medal for less than a tenner and took both to the local jeweller who arranged for the bar to be transferred for a few pounds (straight forward as they are only fixed by a single pin). I straightened the ring of the victory medal very carefully and bought replacement ribbons from a dealer. I ended up about £20 lighter but had a nice family pair to add to the other family medals.

My Grandfather's pair were also in a bit of a state with the BWM missing. Fortunately genuine replacements were still available from the MoD at the time which is no longer the case but I also knew he had been the Home guard in WW2 and was able to apply for his defence medal which are still available.

Doug

Thanks Doug, that's a good idea.

My wife's grandfather's pair were in a sorry state. The suspension ring on the victory medal was bent, there were no ribbons and the suspension bar on the BWM was missing. I wanted the pair properly mounted so restoration was required. I looked around to find a replacement BWM so that I could use the suspension bar but the cost was prohibitive (around £25). In the end I bought a genuine medal for less than a tenner and took both to the local jeweller who arranged for the bar to be transferred for a few pounds (straight forward as they are only fixed by a single pin). I straightened the ring of the victory medal very carefully and bought replacement ribbons from a dealer. I ended up about £20 lighter but had a nice family pair to add to the other family medals.

My Grandfather's pair were also in a bit of a state with the BWM missing. Fortunately genuine replacements were still available from the MoD at the time which is no longer the case but I also knew he had been the Home guard in WW2 and was able to apply for his defence medal which are still available.

Doug