Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 Star

geofffox

Hi All

My great uncle was awarded the 1914 Star. On his medal card it shows that he qualified for this medal on the 1/11/1914. Would the 1st of November be the date he disembarked in France, or would he have to have serveed a minimum amount of time in theatre ( 7 days for example) before qualifying?

Regards

Geoff

Geoff

1st November 1914 would be the date he entered theatre and thus qualified for the Star.

Regards

Steve

Always wondered if there was a time to qualify ie Soldier gets of boat ,trips over 30 minutes later breaks a leg and is evacuated back to Blighty .Is that really enough ?

Cheers

Cheers

Most sources point to the fact that the serciceman/woman qualified for the medal on entering theatre. Is it correct that only servicemen who came under fire received the bar to go with it?

Geoff

Geoff,

I believe that to be correct. Had to be under fire to get clasp, ribbon only was worn with a rosette.

David

Always wondered if there was a time to qualify ie Soldier gets of boat ,trips over 30 minutes later breaks a leg and is evacuated back to Blighty .Is that really enough ?

Tony,

I'm pretty sure that service of any length would be enough, provided that the man/woman in question was serving on the strength of a unit of the BEF, although I'd be interested to hear other opinions on this.

Most sources point to the fact that the serciceman/woman qualified for the medal on entering theatre. Is it correct that only servicemen who came under fire received the bar to go with it?

Sort of. It was the fact of a man's unit coming under fire that was the clincher; all men of that unit would get the bar. Men of units that didn't come under fire could apply for a bar provided they came up with some corroborative evidence to prove that they had been in the line of fire.

From an Official Letter dated 24 February 1920.

"Sir,

I am directed to transmit to you the accompanying "1914 Star" which would have been conferred upon ----- had he lived.It is now sent to you in memory of his service with the British Expeditionary Forces employed in France and Belgium between the outbreak of war and midnight,22/23rd November,1914."

The Soldier,referred to in the Letter,landed in France on 5 November 1914,per his MIC,Battalion War Diary and History.The War Diary and History,also confirm that the Battalion,actually served within the range of enemy fire,during the qualifying period for the award of the Clasp and Roses and the Battalion is officially recognised,as one whose members are entitled to claim and receive them.The Soldier was,however,unable to claim his Clasp and his Family did not claim it,on his behalf.

George