Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS Cito (Hull)

Guest C729LEE

Guest C729LEE

Chaps

I picked up a rather lonely looking one off War Medal in a junk shop. On it is the name Robert Thornton, I have found him in the 1881 & 1901 census with all of his family. He is listed on the Castle Hill Memorial as seen in the CWGC as KIA, on the SS Cito built in Hull, where he lived.

What I would like to find out are the other crew members names who were on board the Cito when she was sunk in the North Sea in 1917, 11 were killed along with Robert Thornton.

Any help with this little project would be most gratefully received.

As an army type collector/ex squaddie, naval research is new to me, and I thought it may be nice to bring back to life as it were, a long forgotten vessel and the men that served on her in the form of a crew list, ships photo which I have found on the net, with the medal framed. A nice addition to my collection.

Lee in Lincs

Lee

Hard to find anything firm on the Cito.

Extracted from web sites is the following:-

"Wilsons & North Eastern Railway Shipping Co; 1899; Earle's Co.; 819 tons; 219.1x30.1x16.5; 144 nhp; 9.5 knots; triple expansion engines. The steamship Cito was intercepted by German torpedo boat destroyers S-53 and V-73, 20 miles East of Noordhinder lightship on May 17th, 1917. The destroyers sank the steamship with gunfire. The captain and ten of the crew were killed."

and from a "wreck divers" website,

"Steel wreck standing proud on sand. Superstructure is gone. At the stern the cargo can be seen. The anchor winch is still in place. The wreck is detoriating fast as plates are coming off"

I saw one other site which simply reported the date and said that there were 10 fatalities, so there seems to be some conflict on that point.

Regards

Stephen

The men lost are on the Tower Hill Memorial as follows (check them on CWGC).....

DONOVAN, Michael Wells Mortimer

HAIRE, John Thomas

HESLEWOOD, Edward

KEMP, George Richard

MANSON, William

MEHEUX, Adolphus Donalson

ORME, George Watson (master)

OSBORNE, F.C.

STEPHENSON, Robert

THORNTON, Robert

There are only ten names on the Tower Hill Memorial not eleven. That may mean that other sources saying eleven are wrong or that one body was recovered and buried somewhere - though it is not buried in the UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark or Norway!

I'll keep an eye out for the other name in case there is one.

Lee & Terry,

The missing man from your list is: R. KINGSTON, Fireman. He is buried in Noordwijk General Cemetery, Holland.

Regards

Arthur

Guest C729LEE

Stephen Nulty

Terry Denham

Arthur

Chaps you have done me proud, an invaluable forum and a mine of information. Thank you for your time and efforts with my little project. I will get into this researching the Navy in time. All my past bits and bobs have been RAF and Army.

Once again, cheers.

Lee in Lincs

• 1 year later...

Hi

I am new to this site but was interested to see the name S.S Cito

My great grandfather was Richard Kingston who was the Fireman on the S.S Cito which was lost on 17th May 1917 after been torpedoed by a German gunboat, 20 miles east of the Hinder Lightship whilst on route from Hull to Rotterdam .

I have a copy of the report of its loss sent from George Chapman Chief Officer to Commander H.L Walton, R,N R Marine Superintendent, Ellerman Wilson Line Ltd, Hull, on 21st May 1917. giving details of the circumstances leading up to the loss. Some of the crew escaped in a boat and were rescued the next day off the English coast but as you say the captain and 10 of the crew were killed.

Richard's body was recovered and he was buried in Noordwijk General Cemetery, in the Netherlands.

It was a double blow for Richard's wife Kate as she had lost her son (by a 1st marriage ) in France on 3rd May 1917 only 2 weeks earlier.

On 17th May 1917 the SS Cito, 819 grt, was sunk by German Torpedoboat Destroyers S 53 & V 73 by gunfire, 20 miles E of the North Hinder Lightship, North Sea. There were 11 casualties per British Vessels Lost at Sea.

Best wishes

David

• 6 years later...

Hi Gilly,

I live in Noordwijk, The Netherlands and I am trying to give all the 27 WW 1 graves, with names, a face.

As your great grandfather is one of them, I am very interested in the report you mention but also in more personal information about him.

Do you have a picture of him?

Regards,

Mark

Hi

My great grandfather was Richard Kingston who was the Fireman on the S.S Cito which was lost on 17th May 1917 after been torpedoed by a German gunboat, 20 miles east of the Hinder Lightship whilst on route from Hull to Rotterdam .

I have a copy of the report of its loss sent from George Chapman Chief Officer to Commander H.L Walton, R,N R Marine Superintendent, Ellerman Wilson Line Ltd, Hull, on 21st May 1917. giving details of the circumstances leading up to the loss. Some of the crew escaped in a boat and were rescued the next day off the English coast but as you say the captain and 10 of the crew were killed.

Richard's body was recovered and he was buried in Noordwijk General Cemetery, in the Netherlands.

It was a double blow for Richard's wife Kate as she had lost her son (by a 1st marriage ) in France on 3rd May 1917 only 2 weeks earlier.

Does anyone know how I can reach Gilly as the last time Gilly was active on this forum was in 2006.

Mark

• 1 year later...

I was googling for SS Cito and came across this message.

One of the casualties was Frank Cecil Osborne, who is remembered on the war memorial in Glan Conwy, North Wales

Frank was an 18 year old wireless operator. He seems to have been born in Salford and was the only son of Frank Osborne, a beer seller from 283, Liverpool street and his wife, Elizabeth Maude. They seem to have had an establishment at 283 Liverpool Street (as there are visitors there in 1911) and also a house, Oak Villa, in Glan Conwy.

The Roll of Honour in St Ffraid's church, which was the basis of the British Legion, was signed by all 95 of the men who came home.The secretary was Frank Senior.

Frank Cecil is remembered on the Tower Hill memorial

I do not have a photograph of him, unfortunately

Bridget

• 5 years later...

Michael Wells Mortimer Donovan, born in Hull,  was the 2nd mate on the Cito.  He had been awarded his Master's Certificate exactly three months earlier.  

Aged 24, he had married early the previous year and was the father of a seven-month-old boy.  He and wife Nellie lived at 229 Albert Avenue, Hull.

Information for Vixie: A.B. George Richard Kemp was 53 years old, son of the late Richard and Maria Kemp and husband of Elizabeth Ann Kemp nee Knaggs. 

Lived at 6 Botanic Place, Haniford Place, Hull.  Source of info: Commonwealth War Graves Memorial Register, where I presume all the crew who died are listed.

• 2 years later...
On 01/05/2006 at 18:10, Gilly said:

Hi

My son's ancestry includes Richard Kingston but different wife where was this Richard born

• Admin
3 hours ago, Stewart Woodruff said:

My son's ancestry includes Richard Kingston but different wife where was this Richard born

@Gilly hasn't been on the forum since 2009 but tagging them in the hope of  them getting an email notification if they still have the original email.