Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Despatch Riders (Horse)....who are they with...?

Ronnyson

Please excuse my ignorance (again!!) ........

Apologies for my laziness but I have just received information regarding my Granddad and rather than spend time heading in the wrong direction.......I thought I would seek your guidance before I even start!

Here's what I 'know' ......he served as a despatch rider, apparently he was gased at Vimy Ridge, I don't know when, except it was almost certainly after July 1917. Family folklore is that his horse 'brought him home' and in effect saved his life. He was released as a result of the effects of gas (so I guess he would have received a SWB)

Is there enough information here to point me in the right direction?

Did all despatch riders serve with the RE or were despatch riders also with Regiments etc?

Was there recorded incidents of gas attacks around this time at Vimy Ridge......and who was involved?

Sorry I know the information is very sketchy ........but I'm hoping with your help, I have 'enough' to start looking for my Granddads war once again

Any assistance no matter how small.......as always gratefully received.

Oh finally, would the South Staffs have had any despatch riders ?? (this would have been his local Regiment )

Regards

Paul

Thanks for the link Mike .........

I had made a quick check on the LLT, but it wasn't this page I saw.......although the content was much the same.

So is it safe to say he was defintely with the RE if he was a despatch rider then?

I'm such an idiot sometimes (?) ...........his name was Henry Lee............he lived into his 70's

No further (military) info unfortunately

" So is it safe to say he was defintely with the RE if he was a despatch rider then? "

I don't know, but I doubt it.

As I said, best to post as much information as you have. Where he was born, any middle names any photographs. It all helps. There are quite a few Henry Lee's who served in ww1. You can sign up to a 14 day free trial at Ancestry.co.uk and search the Medal Index Cards and all the various databases, or search the The National Archives

Cheers Mike

Many thanks for the link Mike ......and for the extra info Centurion .......

I am trying to find some extra info over the weekend and I shall start a new post with everything I have

Cheers