Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

He died the noblest death a man may die

auchonvillerssomme

While checking some local men I came across this entry in The National Roll Great War, Leeds. I may get some criticism for posting this but i make no excuses.

Bywood, H., Private 3rd West Riding Regiment.

Volunteering in August 1914 he was quickly drafted to France, where he took part in the Battle of Ypres and was taken prisoner at Kemmel.

Whilst in captivity he was badly ill-treated and on August 16th 1915, was foully murdered when he asked for food.

He was entitled to the 1914 Star and the General Service and Victory medals.

He died the noblest death a man may die

71, Macauley Street, North Street, Leeds.

CWGC has incorrectly recorded his initials.

Name: BYWOOD A J

Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 12/08/1915

Service No: 10107

Grave/Memorial Reference: VII. A. 13.

Cemetery: BERLIN SOUTH-WESTERN CEMETERY

But more interesting is the report by A Scott Williams R.A.M.C. (Augustus Scott Williams)

Gardelegen POW camp.

On the whole the English, Russians and Belgians got on very well together. A quarrelsome Englishman 10107 Pte Bywood, 1st West Riding Regiment

and a similar Belgian had a row, and the former was knifed by the latter. The Belgian was tried and apparently let off.

A French surgeon saw Bywood with me and he removed 3 inches of rib and let out much pus. He eventually died, and a post mortem

showed a sinus leading down to an ulcer in the ascending colon, the resection sinus went to an abscess above the liver and communicated

with a purulent pleurisy. The man had many bed-sores due to the impossibility of avoiding pressure by lumps of wood shaving.

After I got an air cushion and feather pillow they improved, but the lack of instruments and dressings did not tend to help the man to recovery.

Personally I cannot imagine the pain that this man endured before death and quarrelsome or not, a victim of war.

Thanks to Doug Johnson for pointing me in right direct for A Scott Williams.

Shows how very careful we have to be with all sources and that only triangulation with a number can give some relative security in the facts given.

Many would take something like a National Roll as gospel - let this be a message for them.

Jim

Pleased to see you got a result. His suffering may have been more than you imagine. Gardelegen had a typhus outbreak about the time he died though in this case it was far better handled than the one at Wittenberg. There is a command paper on this outbreak (Cd 8351)Miscellaneous No 34 (1916) Report on the Typhus Epidemic at Gardelegen by the Government Committee on the Treatment by the Enemy of British Prisoners of War During the Spring and Summer of 1915.. Scott Williams details would have been significant in the compilation of this report. The National Roll would have been compiled long before the WO161 reports became public, as these were sealed for 75 years, so they could be forgiven for publishing what they knew. The WO161 reports can contain unexpected information e.g. details of the London Scottish action at Messines are contained in WO161, details which were previously unknown and give both an insight into the action and perhaps correct information contained in the published history.

Doug

Typhoid certainly gets a mention in. If you would like a copy of the full report pm me your email address.

Mick