Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Serjeant J G Hayes RAOC

Pat Twomey

Hi

I am seeking information on Hayes, J G A/2905 Staff Serjeant in the Royal Army Ordnance Corp who died on 7/11/1918 and is buried in Beirut War Cemetery. I have accessed his CWGC details here http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=896444

I have also obtained his MIC but this gives no further information.

Going to the Soldiers who died in the great war gives me 56 hits with J Hayes and would gladly download the details if I could determine which one was correct.Unfortunately I do not know where he was born or where he enlisted.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me in advancing my research.

Thanks

Pat

Armourer Staff Sjt John George HAYES, born Saltley, Warwicks, enlisted Birmingham, Died, Egypt.

Adrian

EDIT: In 1911 possibly the man aged 28, married to Annie for 1 year, occupation Gun Viewer, living at 11 Powell St, Aston.

Armourer Staff Sjt John George HAYES, born Saltley, Warwicks, enlisted Birmingham, Died, Egypt.

Adrian

EDIT: In 1911 possibly the man aged 28, married to Annie for 1 year, occupation Gun Viewer, living at 11 Powell St, Aston.

Thanks Adrian - That was quick!!

Pat,

The only mention of your man in Ancestry is his MIC which shows he was entitled to the BWM and VM - no date of entry given. There are no service records and the only other record

I could find was the CWGC listing which you already have.

David

Thanks David for your help. It seems a number of soldiers were killed in October and November 1918 and are buried in Beirut War Cemetery. As my knowledge of this area of the Great War is very limited would anyone have any info on what the Army Ordnance Corp were doing at the time.

Thanks

Pat

Hi Pat

seeing as your man was a Armourer, this means he was attchaed to a infantry regt/batt (he looked after there weapons, rifles, pistols and the like)

Ian

Thanks for that Ian. To be killed four days before the signing of the armisice seems to be rather tragic. Do you know what operations were taking place in Egypt at that time?

Thanks again

Pat