Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

map help

jwp2007

My grandfather was badly wounded at Bleharies,south of Tournai in Belgium in oct.1918 serving with B company,3rd London regiment, have located bleharies on modern maps,the war diary gives some map references for B coy. just wondered if anyone knew if i could obtain a map of the period so i would be able to to pinpoint the locations given in the war diary, many thanks,

regards,John.

You could try the archive at McMaster University. I haven't looked up a map for this particular area, but you should be able to find something of use.

Cheers,

Nigel

Many thanks Nigel, have been on the site and there are two maps for the Tournai area but when I try to open them I keep getting the message "unable to process request " , will keep trying and see if i have any luck later !, many thanks again,

kind regards,

John.

John, not many detailed maps around for this area as this was a mobile period. Someone, somewhere, will have a copy.

If you go to the McMaster site, 40,000 section, click on map 44 and this will give you a screen-sized image of the map. Bleharies is not shown but Brunehaut, nearby,is. At a rough estimate your village is at about 44 NW4 I 5 or 6.

You should be able to get rough locations by comparing the 44 NW map references with modern Michelin.

Hope it's of use, Peter

PS if you cannot get get copy of map Mc Master will burn onto CD for you, I think it's about £25. They are very helpful.

Thanks Peter, I may have to contact them as i still can't open any of the maps on the site for some reason, will post the map refrences from the war diary when i get home, many thanks indeed for your help,

kind regards,

John.

Here is the map 44 from the site (soory if it's a bit small)....your village is not on, but Brunehart is so you can locate from there. You should be able to track the battalion by using the 2 maps.

Regards Peter

post-2649-092671100 1282234091.jpg

Thanks for that Peter, the extract below gives some references,there is also reference to, the village of cin,which seems to be on the opposite bank of the canal from bleharies,can't see any village on the google earth but there is a rue de sin which could be the same location. one officer and 3 or managed to get across to cin on a raft despite the heavy shelling,grandfather was not so lucky,he caught a right packet,according to his records his right leg was lost below the knee,some toes were lost on his left foot and he had gsw to both legs and right thigh.he did get home but it was 1920 before he was discharged from hospital in Leeds.

regards,John.

John, from the McMasters map you can estimate where squares d25 and J 1 are, but the 40,000 scale will not help with the numericals. You will need either 20,000 or 10,000 to be precise.....these do exist if you can track one down. There will be one at NA Kew if no-one else has one.

Regards Peter

John, from the McMasters map you can estimate where squares d25 and J 1 are, but the 40,000 scale will not help with the numericals. You will need either 20,000 or 10,000 to be precise.....these do exist if you can track one down. There will be one at NA Kew if no-one else has one.

Regards Peter

thanks Peter, will try and track one down !,

much appreciated,

regards, John.