Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RIRifles, 20 Sepember, 1915

museumtom

I am researching Captain J W Field who was KIA with the 1st Ban RIRifls on 20 Sept-1915 and buried in Cabaret Rouge Cemetery. Would someone please tell me what the RIRifles were doing on that day in that area.

Thanking you in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

From Falls' history - really the build up to the attack on 25 September known as the 'action at Bois Grenier' - donlt have the diary for the day itself.

The 1st Battalion was still in the flat country between Armentières and La Bassée Canal, the only front it had known or was to know till the opening of the Somme battle. Between Neuve Chapelle and Fauquissart there now lay the Indian Corps.

North of it was a New Army Division, the 20th, then the 8th Division, then the 27th. The attack to be carried out by the 25th Brigade, of the 8th Division, had a similar object to the attack at Hooge, and two others, by the Indians north of Neuve Chapelle and the 2nd Division at Givenchy; that is to say, it was designed purely to pin down German reserves and serve as a diversion from the affair at Loos.

But it was perhaps on the smallest scale of any of the holding actions. All that was hoped from it at best was the capture of the German front-line trench upon a front of about 1,200 yards, after which it was intended to join it up to the existing British line.

The fact that on either flank, at Well Farm on the right and opposite Fort Bridoux on the left, the British line jutted out into a small salient gave reason to the scheme. In order to allow of the consolidation of the front line, when taken, the second was also to be captured, and the troops withdrawn as soon as the front had been put into a state of defence.

Besides Corner Fort, which faced Well Farm, and Fort Bridoux, there was a very strong position in the German lines, about midway between these two, called The Angle.

It was shaped somewhat like a human nose. Just north of it was a work known as The Lozenge. The plan of attack was that these three positions, Corner Fort, The Angle, and Fort Bridoux, were to be assaulted; the first by the 2nd Rifle Brigade, the second by the 2nd Royal Berkshire, and the third by the 2nd Lincolnshire. These positions captured, the troops were to work along the front-line trench and join hands, while bombers fought their way down the communication trenches to the second line and established blocks.

On the extreme left of the attack were to be two companies of the 1st Royal Irish Rifles, "C" and "D." They were supplied with a Stokes gun, a great novelty in those days, smoke-candles, eight catapults, and a thousand smoke-bombs, to create a smoke screen on the left flank of the attack, north of Fort Bridoux. Upon their front an 18-pounder gun had also been brought into the trench to support the attack. The assault was preceded by an artillery bombardment over four days.

Fantastic, many thanks Desmond.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Tom

I've got the diary for that day. The entry is very short but I can't read it properly. The writing is :devilgrin:

However, Capt Field's name is there and I would be happy to email you the page if needed.

Ulsterlad. I would absolute love a scan.

Please email me.

Many thanks.

Kind regards.

Tom.

From J W Taylor in '1st RIR in the Great War': Capt J W Field was "accidently wounded and died" 20/9/15 according to the War Diary. His file says he was wounded in action. A list of his effects included a watch, a gold ring and a French phrase book.

Seems he'd had a busy life before the Great War

Thank you Conaughtstranger.It all adds to his data, up to now all had was a date of death and his name.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Conaughtstranger could I please have some details of his 'Seems he'd had a busy life before the Great War ' I am looking for a Carlow connection to be pecise.

Kind regards.

Tom.