Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandmother's death 1914

tony paley

My Grandfather, a Dublin man, was a Sgt.major in the Royal Garrison Artillery stationed at Fort carlisle, Whitegates.Co.Cork. On 7th november 1914 my Grandmother, Alice Paley, died. So far I have been unable to find where details of her death are recorded. I have a letter dated in 1915 from a local physician with a 'Fort Carlisle' stamp. I have a cousin in ireland who has been unable to locate a certificate. I thought that it should be held in Irish records. She is buried at whitegates possibly in the military cemetery, if there is one. Unfortunately I have made several visits to Whitegates and have looked in a rather neglected churchyard without success, I think the wrong churchyard.

Tony P

My Grandfather, a Dublin man, was a Sgt.major in the Royal Garrison Artillery stationed at Fort carlisle, Whitegates.Co.Cork. On 7th november 1914 my Grandmother, Alice Paley, died. So far I have been unable to find where details of her death are recorded. I have a letter dated in 1915 from a local physician with a 'Fort Carlisle' stamp. I have a cousin in ireland who has been unable to locate a certificate. I thought that it should be held in Irish records. She is buried at whitegates possibly in the military cemetery, if there is one. Unfortunately I have made several visits to Whitegates and have looked in a rather neglected churchyard without success, I think the wrong churchyard.

Tony P

Hi Tony,

Have you tried here, Cork Civil Registration Office, Adelaide Court, Adelaide Street, Cork Monday - Wednesday 9.00-4.30 Thursday 9.00-7.00

Friday 9.00-3.30 021 4275126 021 4270280.

Peter

Hi Tony,

Have you tried here, Cork Civil Registration Office, Adelaide Court, Adelaide Street, Cork Monday - Wednesday 9.00-4.30 Thursday 9.00-7.00

Friday 9.00-3.30 021 4275126 021 4270280.

Peter

Thanks for that Peter I will give it go.

tony P

Bit odd this. the death should be found on

There are often mistransciptions, and I tried to force a match by just using "Alice" and 1914 and Cork, but cannot get anything vaguely possible

Fort Carlisle is now Fort David

http://www.sweetnam.eu/index.php/Fort_Davis

corisande.

I have aphotograph of her grave, which gives details of my grandfather's rank etc. so I am pretty certain that she was buried in the military cemetery. My father described it to me but it looks as if over the years I have visited the church of Ireland church a little way up the hill from Whitegates. The family were RC. so it was probably the military cem. Details of her deeath were also recorded on my Grandfather's Army records.

Thanks for trying. Tony P

Hi Tony P,

If you or your cousin cant get to Cork to check for your grandmothers death record, I can check this for you early next week.

In relation to the graves at the military Cemetery at Fort Davis (Carlisle), I was there some time ago and have photos of most if not all of the headstones in the cemetery and the name Paley is not showing up on them, some admittedly are eroded so I can’t make out those names. You say you have a photo of the headstone, if you e-mail me a copy of the photo I will check it against my list, there are not that many headstones in the Military cemetery. I can send you some photos of the cemetery if you wish.

Regards,

Sean

Sean

Thanks for that I will send you a pm. with the photographs of the grave.

Tony P