Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Battalion Gloucestershire regiment

madgarry

Guys I hope someone on the forum can help with this request,ime looking for info on locations and actions for the 9th battalion Gloucestershire regiment from mid 1917 till November 1918,I know there early part of the war was spent in Salonica,but they went to France in late 1917 early 1918,my 2x great uncle was a corporal in this regiment and he died 3/11/18,we have just come back from visiting his grave in St Sever cemetery in Rouen France and would love to know where he fought and served so we can follow his footsteps on our next visit.

Garry

They were Pioneers with 66 Division from Jul 1918 to Feb 1919,and have a War Diary at Kew under WO95/3130 which will give you a full story of their movements and actions.

You can see a geberal overview from this page in the Long Long Trail,at top left here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/66div.htm

From his burial place in Rouen,a Hospital centre for our Armies,it would be that he was wounded during our advance in the Le Cateau area and brought to Rouen for treatment.

Sotonmate

Garry

They were Pioneers with 66 Division from Jul 1918 to Feb 1919,and have a War Diary at Kew under WO95/3130 which will give you a full story of their movements and actions.

You can see a geberal overview from this page in the Long Long Trail,at top left here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/66div.htm

From his burial place in Rouen,a Hospital centre for our Armies,it would be that he was wounded during our advance in the Le Cateau area and brought to Rouen for treatment.

Sotonmate

cheers mate,ime not going to get a chance to get to Kew,why would the 9th being a fighting unit end up as pioneers

Garry

I'll see what I can do at the end of September. I think I am right in saying that all Divisions had an Infantry unit as Pioneers,just as they had protection of the Lines of Communication given by Infantry also.

Can you give me his name in case I see it in the Diary.

Sotonmate

Garry

I'll see what I can do at the end of September. I think I am right in saying that all Divisions had an Infantry unit as Pioneers,just as they had protection of the Lines of Communication given by Infantry also.

Can you give me his name in case I see it in the Diary.

Sotonmate His name is corporal Henry Phillips,I doubt he would be named in the war diaries but it would be nice to have the info on where he served and fought so we can plan our next trip which will be to follow in his footsteps up until he died on 3rd november 1918.