Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information request of uniform

JeroenConijn

Hello,

At a market in France, but an half an hour from Ieper I bought this painting. It is signed 'F. Duplat 1920'

I would like to know a little bit more about the painting. Can anybody tell me from what country this uniform is or maybe some information about the regiment. The uniform is green and as you maybe can see some kind of bird is visible.

Hope to hear anything.

With regards,

Jeroen

post-52430-004533300 1282059767.jpg

The medals are the French Victory medal and The Commemorative medal of the War of 1914 - 1918(red and white stripes)

In the French Army in 1920, Colonial regiments wore khaki rather than horizon blue. Not sure about the collar device, as usually the regimental number was worn there.

Hello,

At a market in France, but an half an hour from Ieper I bought this painting. It is signed 'F. Duplat 1920'

I would like to know a little bit more about the painting. Can anybody tell me from what country this uniform is or maybe some information about the regiment. The uniform is green and as you maybe can see some kind of bird is visible.

Hope to hear anything.

With regards,

Jeroen

post-52430-004533300 1282059767.jpg

Belgium/French air corps????

I don't think so. The ribbons are definitely French, but this is what a French pilot's uniform looks like.

post-8221-017986400 1282324301.jpg

Some French aerostatier wore collar badges of a winged grenade but I've never seen a picture of one. I suppose that 'dove' might be a sort of winged grenade - long shot I know

Army Badges & Insignia of World War 2 by Guido Rosignoli has an illustration of a French army trade badge of a red pigeon in cloth which was worn by Pigioneers. The design of the bird is the same, so perhaps the subject of the painting is connected with this, but from an earlier period.

David

Army Badges & Insignia of World War 2 by Guido Rosignoli has an illustration of a French army trade badge of a red pigeon in cloth which was worn by Pigioneers. The design of the bird is the same, so perhaps the subject of the painting is connected with this, but from an earlier period.

I thought that trade badges were worn on the arm and not the collar

I thought that trade badges were worn on the arm and not the collar

Yes they were worn on the arm. I'm not saying that he is wearing trade badges on his collar, just that it might give a clue to what he did.

Well I've now found pictures of the aerostatier collar badge and it isn't that. One thought, in 1919 France sent "peace keeping" forces nominally under League of Nations auspices to Hungary, Lower Silesia and Czechoslovakia (in reality they seem to have been intended to ensure that the conflicts ended the way France wanted). Possibly the collar dove signified one of these forces (the UN have used the same device on some of their peace keepers).