Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Siege Coy Royal Anglesey RE

onny

Hi all with the help of some people on this site i have now found out that my great grandfafther served in this unit in ww1. Can anybody help me or point me in the right way to found out has much has i can about this unit and my be some pics which i know would be a long shot. Today i got pics in the post of his grave stone in France to put into my folder that am making about my grandfafther Sapper John Harold Onn 217581

Thank you for taking the time to read this Chris

I think the Royal Engineers Corps Library (not the same as the museum)at Chatham will have some records of this unit, although you may have to visit and go through the files/records yourself as they don't have a search or copy staff facility.

There is also probability that some diaries may be at National Archives, in which case you will need to trawl through to find which Division/Corps they were attached to.

Hope it helps, Peter

PS they were attached to 3rd Army if this helps narrow down search. This means there may be some info in files between WO95/359 to /430 or Corps IV,V,VI or XVII.

Am not very good at this and dont seem to have much look in finding anything out . Is there anybody who can help me i go to the place that am told to go and have a look but seem to hit a brick wall all the time

Hi,

2 Siege Coy Ryl Ang RE.

Jan 1918 Coy under IV Corps 3rd Army: end of Jan in camp Beaugnatre working on IV Corps Defence Line(Green Line defences) in the Morchies - Vaulx sector preparing for the German attack which was launched on the 21st March.

21st March - Coy fall back thru' various villages.

28th March - Coy start work on the Amiens defence line.

9th April - Coy camp at Beaumetz les loges and are to work on the Rear Zone Defences in the Beaumetz les Loges - Berle au Bois sector.

20th August - Work nearing completion on the RZD.

27th August - Coy at Blairville;1/2 coy erecting bridge for heavy traffic over the river Cojeul at Boisleux St Marc.

31st August bridge nearing completion - small detail left to finish it off and to clear tools, etc - no mention of casualties.

No more info available - the months of Sept, Oct, Nov etc are all missing from the War Diary.

Hope the above is of some help

regards

Geraint

Hi,

2 Siege Coy Ryl Ang RE.

Jan 1918 Coy under IV Corps 3rd Army: end of Jan in camp Beaugnatre working on IV Corps Defence Line(Green Line defences) in the Morchies - Vaulx sector preparing for the German attack which was launched on the 21st March.

21st March - Coy fall back thru' various villages.

28th March - Coy start work on the Amiens defence line.

9th April - Coy camp at Beaumetz les loges and are to work on the Rear Zone Defences in the Beaumetz les Loges - Berle au Bois sector.

20th August - Work nearing completion on the RZD.

27th August - Coy at Blairville;1/2 coy erecting bridge for heavy traffic over the river Cojeul at Boisleux St Marc.

31st August bridge nearing completion - small detail left to finish it off and to clear tools, etc - no mention of casualties.

No more info available - the months of Sept, Oct, Nov etc are all missing from the War Diary.

Hope the above is of some help

regards

Geraint

Thanks Geraint, its amazing how much you managed to find out, gives me an insight into what he and his company were doing - its a shame the last few months were missing. how did you find all the details? I searched for ages and kept drawing a blank!!

Thanks again for all the info it means a lot to us, we're slowly piecing together my great grandfathers military life.