Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Depot Battalion Manitoba Regiment (3347227)

chloeilustrates

I'm trying to find out more and possibly a picture of my great great uncle WIlliam Robert Brownrigg who emigrated to Canada in 1912. He arrived in Quebec 17th November on the Magentic which departed from Liverpool.

He was born 10th September 1884 Dublin Ireland, (although my great grandmother put it as 1886 on the irish census as we think there was was a whole lot of goings on before marriage and the such!!)

The only record I can find of him so far is the 1901 Irish census, his departing from Liverpool and arriving in Quebec and then being enrolled June 13th 1918 in Winnipeg to the 1st Depot Battalion Manitoba Rgmt.

I would just like to know a bit more about the regiment and where it served and if he would have received a medal for serving in the war and if anyone has photos of the regiment at all as we have none of William and would be interesting to see his fellow soldiers who he would have served with.

(I'm having terrible trouble uploading his enlistment paper but if it helps his rgmntl number is 3347227)

Many thanks in advance for taking an interest :)

Chloe

It looks like there is material in the Canadian archives (see here). Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any images attached, so nothing to view online.

Robert

Have just had a look through the 1911 Canadian census (on line) and his full name doesn't come up. The only close one age/name is Willie Brownrigg aged 27 in 1911 but he is with family wife/father/mother etc.

David

Thanks for looking David, but he wouldn't be there as he didn't arrive til 1912. :)

Have just had a look through the 1911 Canadian census (on line) and his full name doesn't come up. The only close one age/name is Willie Brownrigg aged 27 in 1911 but he is with family wife/father/mother etc.

David

Next you will want to order his service record from Library and Archives Canada. I've posted some introductory information on Canadian soruces for CEF soldiers here - Researching Canadian Soldiers of the First World War.

Here is Brownrigg's Attestation Paper under the Military Service Act, 1917:

270300a.gif

Chloe,

It would seem that your man was actually drafted.

This would most likely be his assigned Battalion.

http://www.cefresear...serves/18th.htm

Below are listed possible drafts he may have sailed with.

#3 Reinforcing Draft, sailed from Canada June 17, 1918

#65 Reinforcing Draft, sailed from Canada July 7, 1918

#65 Reinforcing Draft, sailed from Canada July 11, 1918

#81 Reinforcing Draft, sailed from Canada July 28, 1918

#134 Reinforcing Draft, sailed from Canada August 30, 1918

The note on the side of the attestation paper shows the notation S.O.S. (struck of strength) on demobilization conditional being effective 1/1/19. This is the first time I've ever seen reference to SOS on a attestation paper. I checked several other draft forms, one for the same depot and they have nothing of the sort.

Add another mystery, the unsigned waiver line for exemption and conditional leave. Again I've not seen this before. Could it be that William asked for exemption and wasn't sent overseas pending a hearing. With the conclusion of fighting 5 months to the day, he may not have been throught the system when struck off strength.

Cheers,

Ken

Kenneth,

I cannot thank you enough for deciphering what was written down the side! I really couldn't make it out.

It's interesting to note that my late gran used to write to him until 1942 when she last heard from him, but he suffered from Rheumatism or something similar, she wrote in a memoir so maybe this was the cause of S.O.S??

And thanks also for the link to get hold of the rest of his army records, this may shed more light on his movements too.

Kind Regards,

Chloe :)

Chloe, considering the late date of his conscription, it is unlikely he left Canada. But, ordering and deciphering his service records as recommended by Regimental Rogue will reveal all.

If he did not leave Canada, he would not have received a service medal.

That echoes my thoughts as well. Hopefully as my brother is on exercise in mid Canada at the moment he can get hold of a copy quicker for me whilst he's there!

Many thanks,

Chloe :)

Chloe, considering the late date of his conscription, it is unlikely he left Canada. But, ordering and deciphering his service records as recommended by Regimental Rogue will reveal all.

If he did not leave Canada, he would not have received a service medal.