Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death Certificates

Mary Robinson

Now this is probably a very naive question but can anyone tell me please whether formal death certificates were issued for casualties in the Great War? Also, if they were, where can they be obtained?

• Admin

Yes a death certificate was issued (bear in mind the 'fog of war;). The death of a soldier in the UK was recorded in the registration district where they died.

Men who died abroad were listed under 'Overseas Deaths' at the GRO. There was a separate index for WWI. This index is now on find my past armed forces death 1796 - 1994 (requires credits)

http://www.findmypas...=A&searchType=D

See also

http://www.nationala...afletID=318&j=1

I believe you can also apply online at the GRO

Ken

That's just what I need, thanks for your trouble Ken

Regards

M

Yes a death certificate was issued (bear in mind the 'fog of war;). The death of a soldier in the UK was recorded in the registration district where they died.

Men who died abroad were listed under 'Overseas Deaths' at the GRO. There was a separate index for WWI. This index is now on find my past armed forces death 1796 - 1994 (requires credits)

http://www.findmypas...=A&searchType=D

See also

http://www.nationala...afletID=318&j=1

I believe you can also apply online at the GRO

Ken

Just a word of warning Mary, before spending your money. Those killed overseas have a most basic death certificate - usually just "killed in action" and location as France and Flanders, or other general location, age and unit which is pretty much what you can get off existing databases such as SDGW.

Those who died at home have "real" i.e more informative certificates with all the details found on civilian certificates.

Carolyn

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Carolyn, warning noted! I have lots of good information about John Cline, I don't think his certificate would add anything in view of what you've told me.

Regards,

M

Just a word of warning Mary, before spending your money. Those killed overseas have a most basic death certificate - usually just "killed in action" and location as France and Flanders, or other general location, age and unit which is pretty much what you can get off existing databases such as SDGW.

Those who died at home have "real" i.e more informative certificates with all the details found on civilian certificates.

Carolyn

Carolyn.

CWGC often list Theatre of Death - Home. I believe this means the UK and not the soldiers home. Several of the names I have been researching under this category have no death certificates that I can find, can you help as to where these certificates will be, surley everyone who died back in the UK must have a DC. Nothing in Scotlands People or ancestry.

Sandy

Sandy

Is it possible you meant SDGW, not CWGC? CWGC doesnt list theatre of death, and SDGW does. Unfortunately SDGW also contains a goodly number of errors.

If a man died in the UK, there will be a UK death registration. You can obtain the Death Certificate from the General Register Office for England & Wales. There's a separate procedure for Scotland. And, I have to confess, I have no idea what the procedure is for Northern Ireland.

You should be able to check if your men are geunine UK deaths by cross-referencing them to the CWGC website to see where they are buried.

John Hartley, thanks for the reply. I shouldhave said SNWM who say Theatre of Death - Home.

I have already posted and asked for help in this matter with ref to Michael Collins S/10013 Gordon Highlanders who died 24/11/18. There is a CWGC headstone in Kilconquhar Parish Churchyard but I can't find a DC anywhere so I don't know where he died.

Sandy

Sandy

I see your man is listed by CWGC as aged 21. I wonder if he might be the 22 year old listed as havign died in the Huddersfield area in the December quarter - no other info on FreeBMD but is possibly the best bet for a punt at the death certificate.

John

Excellent link Lindsey, thanks. On balance I think I would like to see what the cert says just in case I'm missing anything.

Regards,

M

thanks John, took the gamble and ordered it last night as you say the ages don't tally. Will let you know the outcome if you like.

Sandy

Sandy

I see your man is listed by CWGC as aged 21. I wonder if he might be the 22 year old listed as havign died in the Huddersfield area in the December quarter - no other info on FreeBMD but is possibly the best bet for a punt at the death certificate.

John