Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

76th Siege Battery RGA

malch

Hi,

looking for some information for a friend relating to 190451 Alexander McCulloch, 76th Siege Battery RGA, KiA 7/10/1918.

Can anyone tell me where the 76th were on this date, and to what higher formation they belonged ?

Thnx

M

Hi there M it looks like they were at the somme.its not much but I sure the guy's on the forum will find the right place on the date ask for.

I found this on th SDGW

R.G.A

McCulloch,Alexander Gunner

Born- Aberlour,Morayshire

Enlisted- Keith

Residence- Lower Aikenway,Craigellachie,Banffshire

D.o.D 07/10/1918

K.I.A

France,Flanders

The battery was formed at Harwich in August 1915 and in the early days of its existence there had to be a measure of improvisation and inspiration since there were no guns. Old lumber and any sort of equipment took the place of guns but, blessed with one or two expert carpenters in the battery, it wasn’t long before very creditable productions in the way of imitation directors and dial sights were soon available. When the battery started training, it had to use 8 inch and 6.6 muzzle- loading howitzers with black powder charges. The battery went to France in March 1916, equipped with four 9.2 inch, and took up positions near Albert. On 1st July the 76th took part in the bombardment that opened the Somme offensive; it was in support of X Corps at Thiepval. It was at Vimy Ridge in April 1917, supporting the Canadians; it was in the Salient during Third Ypres and back on the Somme in 1918 during the German offensive and then the advance to victory. These sub-unit histories are aimed at those who served in them, to bring back memories of personalities, casualties, places, times in the line, times back at rest, and above all - comradeship. Nevertheless this is a good account of the war as experienced by a 9.2 inch battery and a most useful source of information on the artillery

I hope this help

best reguards

IanAnder

Hi,

76 siege Bty. RGA was in 62 (Mixed)Brigade in Third Army. the Brigade was in XVII Corps Artillery supporting the 19th, 24th and 61st divisions Battle of the Selle and Sambre. hope this helps as well.

Tony P

The History of 76th Siege Battery, R.G.A. gives the following information concerning the battery on 6th and 7th October 1918:

"This brought us to October 6th, and so two sub-sections during the late evening left Pronville with the two guns for the position at Noyelles, less than three miles our side of Cambrai, from where we could see the towers and high buildings of the town rising above the horizon, and as the enemy probably used these places as O.P.s it is easily understood why the town was being shelled.

Under cover of darkness the position was reached according to plan, for it had been foreseen that a daylight approach would have been folly, especially if any work was to follow. The caution was justified, for although the night passed without harm, many of the Battery will always remember what happened whilst those two gun teams, 40 men, were putting the guns into position early the following morning, October 7th. Firing beams had been laid successfully and the men were starting to mount the guns, when heavy shell fire was directed on them with terrible results. Thirty men of the 40 were casualties, either killed or wounded, the former including Corpl. Hainsworth and Bombr. Lees."

The roll of honour for the Battery for that day lists the following casualties:

Gunner J T Bailey, KIA

Gunner E Coward, KIA

Gunner S A Gabriel, KIA

Gunner E Goldsmith, KIA

Corporal T Hainsworth, KIA

Gunner C Ingham, KIA

Gunner S Lester, KIA

Gunner D Lees, KIA

Gunner A McCulloch, KIA

Gunner S C Pettifer, KIA

Gunner A J Winter, KIA

Gunner J Bigsby, WIA

Regards, Dick Flory

It just dawned on me that McCulloch was from Morayshire and that I own the Morayshire Roll of Honour 1914-1918that gives the following information on 190451 Gnr. Alexander McCulloch:

McCulloch, Alexander, No. 190452, Gnr., RGA; born at Benrinnes Distillery, Aberlour, Banffshire, residing in Morayshire since 1917; joined at Fort George, 14th December 1917; served in France; killed in France, 7th October 1918. Son of Alexander McCulloch, Lower Aikenway, Craigellachie, and Jemima Meldrum or McCulloch. Occupation, farmer.