Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7 Entr Bn Irish Guards

Joe Walsh

I have a man, Pte. Martin Glynn, who was wounded in action with the above battalion of the Irish Guards on 8/4/16.

Would anyone be able to tell me what action this was?

Thanks,

Joe

Hello Joe

The Irish Guards didn't have a 7th Bn, but Entrenching Bns were numbered in a separate sequence and 7th Ent Bn had a lot of Guardsmen in it.

Page back in this section of the Forum for a post on "7th Bn Coldstream Guards" for more info on the unit.

Ron

Hello Joe

The Irish Guards didn't have a 7th Bn, but Entrenching Bns were numbered in a separate sequence and 7th Ent Bn had a lot of Guardsmen in it.

Page back in this section of the Forum for a post on "7th Bn Coldstream Guards" for more info on the unit.

Ron

Ok, thanks. I was taking it from his caualty form.

Underneath this in the report from whom recieved section various bits say "O.C. 1 Gds", and he had been in 1 Battalion before this so I presume he was still in 1 Battalion Irish Guards?

Any idea what they were doing at the time he was wounded?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe,

I believe they were in the Salient, possibly just North of Ypres on the canal. I have details of tyhe 2nd Batt. in that area as part of the Guards Division. 1st were in the 1st Guards Brigade. 2nd Bt. in the 2nd Guards Brigade. On that date or around that time the division was in the trenches and had been subjected to Shell and Sniper fire resulting in casualties.

Tony P

Thanks to everyone for establishing that the Guards Entrenching Bn was officially titled 7th Entrenching Bn. One more little piece in the largely unfilled first wave of Entrenching Bns which existed from summer 1915 to late 1917 and not to be confused with the second wave, which was formed from surplus manpower resulting from the reduction of each brigade by one battalion in February 1918 and lasted until late April 1918.

Charles M

Hello Charles.

Can we reach a conclusion on the origins and the progression of this units activities during the Great War in particular, pre 1916.

On a micro level, my own research only covers January 1916 - September 1916 as previously posted. On a macro level, i would be most interested for any input.

Best wishes.

Chris.

Bumping up the thread:

O.H.:

July 1916.

Half the 7th (Guards) Entrenching Battalion now in Corps area will be withdrawn on "T" day to Sailly-le-Sec for work on Bray-Corbie road under the C.E.

Best wishes.

Chris.