Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

J Graham Howells

watchdog

This is one of more than twenty requests for information and help that I am hoping to post today. They are all in relation to TF soldiers who enlisted on or about the 5 August 1914 and almost all of whom survived the war. The common denominator is the fact that they were all patent examiners serving in the Patent Office prior to the outbreak of war.

Normally I would be able to pursue most of the basic work myself and would only be coming to all of you for help with the 'extras' but I am under some pressure of time. I hope you don't mind. But then again it's the sort of thing almost all of us enjoy – finding out about these men who fought in the Great War. So I'm hoping that you will appreciate the challenge.:D

The work is in support of my dissertation for the Birmingham MA in First World War studies and therefore if any of you do have information which might assist me I would be grateful if you could also quote the source of that information.

I'm not acting entirely blind of course and here is the information that I've already found out about J Graham Howells:

Howells attended University College Cardiff where he gained a B.Sc before joining the Patent Office in November 1904. He appears to have enlisted in September 1914 (or was he mobilised as a pre-war territorial?) as a private in the 2nd London Div Train ASC (TF) . By 1916 he appears to have transferred to the RE and then almost immediately changed Services and is commissioned as a Sub Lt in the RNVR. As a RNVR officer he seems to have been awarded an MiD

The sorts of information I'm hoping to glean are: His first name? Did Howells ever deploy abroad with the Army? Any 1911 Census details? Any details of his MiD? Some explanation of his change of capbadge and Service. And of course anything else that might occur to all of you.

Thanks

This man's service record shows he goes from the RE (Chemist) to the Naval Volunteer Reserve (appointed to a commission). Well, I'd never come across the Chemists Coy until today, but now it's popping up all the time! Regimental no. 113160. And he's an Assistant Examiner at the Patent Office. Quite damaged. Just one mention of France. His previous number was 1468 and he signed up in September 1914. All home service until he joined the RE in August 1915. The J seems to have been for show...

Name: J Graham Howells

Estimated birth year: abt 1881

Age at Enlistment: 34

Residence: Devon Lodge, New Malden, Surrey

Document Year: 1915

Regiment Name: Royal Engineers

London Gazette gives his name as J. Graham Howells on his entry to the position at the Patent Office...http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/27740/pages/8297

FreeBMD has this entry...

Surname Given Name District Volume Page

-----------------------------------------------

Births Jun 1881

-----------------------------------------------

HOWELLS J. Graham Swansea 11a 736

Regards

Steve

Nope - think this is him on the 1901 census (there is a Joseph G Howells, but born in Aberdare):

Name: J Graham Howell

Age in 1901: 20

Estimated birth year: abt 1881

Relation: Son

Father's Name: Samuel

Mother's Name: Ruth

Where born: Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales

I'm guessing something Biblical? innocent.gif

1911 census doesn't help as to what the J. is for....

post-1432-085031200 1281916728.jpg

I'm afraid the University of Wales Roll of Service (published by Jarvis and Foster, Bangor, 1921, page 36) doesn't help much. He's listed as J. Graham Howells entering University College Cardiff in 1900. His place of residence is given as Cardiff, so perhaps he had moved from Swansea by then. His war service is given as Sub-Lt. RNVR.

Good luck with the dissertation.

Gwyn