Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Herbert Hawthorn Hanworth

watchdog

This is one of more than twenty requests for information and help that I am hoping to post today. They are all in relation to TF soldiers who enlisted on or about the 5 August 1914 and almost all of whom survived the war. The common denominator is the fact that they were all patent examiners serving in the Patent Office prior to the outbreak of war.

Normally I would be able to pursue most of the basic work myself and would only be coming to all of you for help with the 'extras' but I am under some pressure of time. I hope you don't mind. But then again it's the sort of thing almost all of us enjoy – finding out about these men who fought in the Great War. So I'm hoping that you will appreciate the challenge.:D

The work is in support of my dissertation for the Birmingham MA in First World War studies and therefore if any of you do have information which might assist me I would be grateful if you could also quote the source of that information.

I'm not acting entirely blind of course and here is the information that I've already found out about Herbert Hawthorn Hanworth:

Hanworth joined the Patent Office in July 1907. He appears to have been mobilised as a Captain in 5th London Brigade RFA (TF) on or about 5 Aug 1914 and by 1915 had been promoted to Major and an appointment as Bde Major. By July 1916 he is an acting Lt Col and CO of a Div Ammo Train although on subsequent posting he reverts to major. He appears to have been gassed in 1918.

The sorts of information I'm hoping to glean are: Any 1911 Census details. Where were the 5th London Brigade pre-war drill halls? Where did he serve? And of course anything else that might occur to all of you.

Thanks

Just one MIC located for "H H Hanworth" a Lt Col in the RFA. Only the Victory and British medals (and a TFW) awarded, so presumably no overseas service before 1 January 1916. Apart from the medal roll info, nothing else.

Only the Victory and British medals (and a TFW) awarded, so presumably no overseas service before 1 January 1916.

A reasonable deduction, Watson :whistle::D