Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eric Frank Cliff

watchdog

This is one of more than twenty requests for information and help that I am hoping to post today. They are all in relation to TF soldiers who enlisted on or about the 5 August 1914 and almost all of whom survived the war. The common denominator is the fact that they were all patent examiners serving in the Patent Office prior to the outbreak of war.

Normally I would be able to pursue most of the basic work myself and would only be coming to all of you for help with the 'extras' but I am under some pressure of time. I hope you don't mind. But then again it's the sort of thing almost all of us enjoy – finding out about these men who fought in the Great War. So I'm hoping that you will appreciate the challenge.:D

The work is in support of my dissertation for the Birmingham MA in First World War studies and therefore if any of you do have information which might assist me I would be grateful if you could also quote the source of that information.

I'm not acting entirely blind of course and this is what I already know about Eric Frank Cliff:

Cliff studied at the Northampton Institute before joining the Patent Office in June 1906. He enlisted as a private on 7 Sep 1914 and his first unit is shown as the Inns of Court OTC. I know that this unit later became one of several general officer training units for the whole army but i suspect that Cliff, who was also a studying for the bar at Gray's Inn, may have been a pre-war territorial. By 1915 he was a Sergeant and later a CQMS. He was commissioned (in 1915/16?) in to the RGA and in 1918 was seconded for anti-aircraft duties.He was also working as a Principal Civil Servant in the Air Ministry.

The sorts of information I'm hoping to glean are: More details of his war service? Any 1911 Census details? Clues to his apparent dual occupation of civil servant working in the Air Ministry and anti-aircraft duties? And of course anything else that might occur to all of you.

Thanks

Theatre of War first served in: Egypt 21.6.16

Seems to have gone straight into the RGA (TF) as a 2/Lt, then Lt, followed by Capt in the TF Res. No 14/15 Star on this card, so either there's another one or his time in the Inns of Court OTC was all "Home".

I'm sure this is your man, as the first address for delivery of his medals is the Air Ministry.

Name: Eric Francis Cliff

Regiment or Corps: RGA (T), (TF Res)

1911 census Eric Francis Cliff is living with his parents age 26 occupation Civil Service Assistant Examiner Patent Office born Forest Gate Essex.

You are going to like this bit his father Alfred Cliffe also works for the Patent Office recorded as Civil Service Supervising Examiner in H M Patent Office. They are living at Glenely Milton Road Harpenden Hertfordshire.

Mandy

Will send you another pm shortly

Mandy. You're right I did love that bit!

Alfred Cliff entered the Patent Office under the very first competitive examination held on 1 June 1878 and was the most senior Patent Examiner in the Office. The Edwardian Civil Service was very, very strict on entry standards and so Cliff Jr would have had to sit the open, competitive examination with everyone else. And there were no selection interviews before the 1920s. They just took the highest scorers on the day. Nevertheless, I wonder if Dad helped with the homework? :whistle:

Dudley