Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WHD Clark

watchdog

This is one of more than twenty requests for information and help that I am hoping to post today. They are all in relation to TF soldiers who enlisted on or about the 5 August 1914 and almost all of whom survived the war. The common denominator is the fact that they were all patent examiners serving in the Patent Office prior to the outbreak of war.

Normally I would be able to pursue most of the basic work myself and would only be coming to all of you for help with the 'extras' but I am under some pressure of time. I hope you don't mind. But then again it's the sort of thing almost all of us enjoy – finding out about these men who fought in the Great War. So I'm hoping that you will appreciate the challenge.:D

The work is in support of my dissertation for the Birmingham MA in First World War studies and therefore if any of you do have information which might assist me I would be grateful if you could also quote the source of that information.

I'm not acting entirely blind of course and I actually know a great deal about 'Col' Clark:

Clark worked for 8 years in the engineering works at the Royal Arsenal Woolwich before joining the Patent Office in January 1884. He was a stalwart of the 15th London (Civil Service Rifles) and ran their successful shooring team for a number of years. He enlisted with them as the Battalion QM on 5 Aug 1914 and deployed with them to France aged 54 in late 1914. His son was also an officer in the battalion and was sadly killed at Festubert. Clark was recalled to England in the Summer 1915 to work in the Ministry of Munitions and, thankfully, missed the Battle of Loos. He retained his military rank and at the end of the war was promoted Hon Lt Col. His war time service was in the Munitions Inventions Department of the Ministry of Munitions for which work he was made OBE in 1918.

The sorts of information I'm hoping to glean are: His first names!! (After the war he was simply referred to by the rest of the Patent Office staff, whe were clearly in awe of him, as 'the colonel' or 'Colonel Clark') Any more details of his war service? (I have the official history of the CSRs and Jill Knight's excellent book) Any 1911 Census details? His citation for the OBE? And of course anything else that might occur to all of you.

Thanks

Yes I should have said that a lot of my information has come from this very informative website reflecting work carried out by Jill Knight and her associates in trying to produce a facsimile of the lost Board of Trade War Memorial and also a modern day on line record of the First World War service of the BOT civil servants.

Thank you too for the London Gazette reference.

Dudley

... work carried out by Jill Knight and her associates in trying to produce a facsimile of the lost Board of Trade War Memorial ...

Not just trying, Dudley - succeeding ...

JillValettaE-1.jpg

W H D Clark = William Henry Dennis Clark, an original battalion member from the formation of the Civil Service Rifles (T.F.) out of the Civil Service Rifles Volunteers. He was Captain and Quartermaster in the Great War period. He has a picture and half a dozen entries in Jill Knight's book (Mrs W H D gets an Index mention too!). Do you have Jill Knight's book?

He, too, was a 17th March 1915 man - as Lieutenant and Quartermaster, and later an Honorary Major after he was recalled to help administer the Ministry of Munitions later in 1915. He was also awarded the OBE.

Adresses given: c/o Ministry of Munitions, Whitehall Place, London SW1 (1919) and Junior Athenaeum Club, 116 Picadilly, W1 (1924).

Apppointment as QM after a career in the ranks:

15th (County of London) Battalion The London Reqiment (Prince of Wales's Own, Civil Service Rifles); Quartermaster - Sergeant William Henry Dennis Clark to be Quartermaster, with the honorary rank of Lieutenant Dated 2nd February, 1910.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/28335/pages/784

London Gazette 14-9-1915

The London Regiment.

Quartermaster and Honorary Lieutenant William H. D. Clark is granted the honorary rank of Captain for distinguished service in the Field. Dated 15th September, 1915.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29295/pages/9101

London Gazette 16-10-1915

The London Regiment

Quartermaster and Honorary Captain William H D. Clark is seconded. Dated 12th August, 1915.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29330/supplements/10240

London Gazette 24-1-1917

TO BE HONORARY MAJORS.

Qr.-Mr. and Hon. Capt. W. H. D. Clark, Lond. R.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29916/supplements/927

London Gazette 16-7-1917

War Office,

16th July, 1917.

TERRITORIAL FORCE.

GENERAL LlST.

Infantry.

The undermentioned Quartermasters are transferred to the General List. 17th July 1917:

Qr.-Mr. and Hon. Capt. W. H. D. Clark, from London Regt.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30185/supplements/7110

London Gazette 20-10-1920

GENERAL LIST.

Qrmr. & Maj. W. H. D. 'Clark, O.B.E., retires, having attained the age limit for retirement, and retains his rank. 21st Oct. 1920.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/32093/supplements/10180

Steve.

Yes Steve I do have Jill's book. Thanks for all the links. I'll be following all of them up and when I've got a bit more time I'll try to do a fuller biography of William Henry Dennis Clark - he deserves it.

Nothing to do with the post really but if you are interested in Patent Examiners - for fun tap in Pedrick Patent Examiner into Google once your Thesis is over

Andre

I have the original CSR history about somewhere. If you don't have access to a copy, I'll dig it out and see what else is listed.

Steve.