Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Alexander

watchdog

This is one of more than twenty requests for information and help that I am hoping to post today. They are all in relation to TF soldiers who enlisted on or about the 5 August 1914 and almost all of whom survived the war. The common denominator is the fact that they were all patent examiners serving in the Patent Office prior to the outbreak of war.

Normally I would be able to pursue most of the basic work myself and would only be coming to all of you for help with the 'extras' but I am under some pressure of time. I hope you don't mind. But then again it's the sort of thing almost all of us enjoy – finding out about these men who fought in the Great War. So I'm hoping that you will appreciate the challenge.:D

The work is in support of my dissertation for the Birmingham MA in First World War studies and therefore if any of you do have information which might assist me I would be grateful if you could also quote the source of that information. I'm not acting entirely blind of course and here is the information that I've already found out about Robert Alexander:

Robert Alexander attended the Glasgow Technical College and joined the Patent Office in March 1905. He appears to have enlisted as a private in 14th London on or about 3 Sep 1914 and was promoted to Cpl sometime in 1915. He was commissioned as a 2Lt in RGA on 17 Dec 1915 and in 1918 was serving as a Captain. At some time or other he was awarded an MC (can anyone find his citation?).

The sorts of information I'm hoping to glean are: Was he a pre-war territorial? Who were the 14th London? Where were the 14th London drill halls? Where did 14th London serve prior to Dec 1915? Where did Alexander serve as an officer in the RGA and in what roles? Where and in what circumstances did he receive his MC? Any 1911 census details? And of course anything else that might occur to all of you.

Thanks

I can't yet find a citation but this may be him:

Date:31 May 1918 Issue number:30716 Page number:6462

Supplement June 3rd

Carolyn

post-5583-048610000 1281858699.jpg

Presumably this is his MIC (does have an MC annotation):

Name: Robert Alexander

Regiment or Corps: 14th R London Regiment, Royal Garrison Artillery

Regimental Number: 2944

In which case, he became A/Major. He first landed in France on 24 November 1914.