Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

288 Seige Battery - 79 Brigade RGA (July / August 1917

auditman

I am looking for the descriptive location of this battery during the early stages Third Ypres to place a relative of a friend who died on 4/8/17. He is Gunner Alfred Catt and is remembered on the Menin Gate.

At the time the Battery did not have its own War Diary.

From the Brigade Diary (WO95/477) I have a reference for 4/7/17, when the Battery came under command of 79 Brigade, at Sheet 28 H26, 97

On the night of 30/7 the battery moved to just west of the Yser Canal coming into action at 2:30am.

The Brigade Diary refers to moves being attempted to support the attackers' early gains but inevitably this was hampered by the wet weather. I can find no direct reference to movement of the 288SB during this period.

From the Diary the Brigade appears to be supporting 18 Corps around Kitchener Wood to the R Steenbeek during this period.

Can anyone please put the battery locations into a place name? I think the second position is possibly in the area between Essex Farm and Bard Cottage but a precise location would be very welcome. Also if anyone can let me have movement locations up to the date of Gunner Catt's death, I would be grateful.

Many thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

Can't help with much I'm afraid, apart from the map reference. Square H26 is on the Poperinghe sheet. The reference 'H26, 97' looks like it should have a letter after the 26 and before the 97 (either a, b, c or d in reference to the quadrant within square H26). Either way, the locality is to the NW of Dickebusch (which is to the west / WSW of Ypres); maybe the wagon lines were here?

post-2839-052762600 1281900243.jpg

All the best

Steve

Hi Jim,

Can't help with much I'm afraid, apart from the map reference. Square H26 is on the Poperinghe sheet. The reference 'H26, 97' looks like it should have a letter after the 26 and before the 97 (either a, b, c or d in reference to the quadrant within square H26). Either way, the locality is to the NW of Dickebusch (which is to the west / WSW of Ypres); maybe the wagon lines were here?

post-2839-052762600 1281900243.jpg

All the best

Steve

Hi Steve.

Bit further away from Ypres than I thought

Thanks very much

Jim