Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lists of the dead

roughdiamond

I put the image below on another thread "Do all death certificates state 'Killed in action'? ", it's taken from an image held on the "Scotlands People" site which holds digital images of documents held in the National Archives of Scotland, they have lists of those serving with Scots Regiments who "died" in service and they are listed by Bn and Regiment, e.g. the image is extracted from the list showing 7th Bn Black Watch (I'm not sure if they have them for Scots serving in Corp's e.g. RE, RA or RAMC or non-Scots Regiments).

As you can see they hold some info not on the CWGC site and of the 9 names there at least 4 have no age on the CWGC site.

This begs the following question's, are there equivilents for English, Welsh and Irish Regiments? and if so where are they held?

post-34049-040994700 1281803315.jpeg

Roughdiamond,

The page you have shown is from the 'Service Returns' , which are included within 'Minor Records' section of the death records on Scotlandspeople. They list Scottish born service men and women {but apparently not Officers} who died overseas, regardless of which unit in the British Army they were serving in. Those who died in England, Wales and Ireland are not shown. Neither are those who died in Scotland, since they would have a normal Scottish death certificate. Each unit is given a seperate page, or pages for larger units. The Corps seem to have a page for each individual unit. Women are shown for the WAAC/QMAAC. Information on these pages can be helpful, sometimes stating hospitals where treated, if prisoner of war, and of course cause of death. For anyone researching a particular unit this is a good way to see all Scottish born casualties in one place.

I don't know of a similar set of records for the rest of Britain.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi there roughdiamond, there were books listing the names of the fallen in Edinburgh Castle but only their names.but I have'nt been recently so I don't know if they are still there.

best reguards

IanAnder

Ian

The books are held in the Scottish War memorial in the Castle, they are on permanent display.

What I was asking was is there an equivilent for English, Irish and Welsh units?

Sam

Nobody has so far mentioned 'Soldiers Died in the Great War', published post WW1 in numerous volumes classified by Regiment or Corps and since reissued on one expensive and searchable CD. The latter is also available via one of the commercial family history sites, but I cannot remember which, as I do not subscribe. 'Officers Died' is similarly published.

D

PS

I see this has now come up on another thread...