Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

48 Squadron man

fetubi

@fetubi This is my Great Grand Father Charles J. O’Toole. He was born in Dublin, Ireland and served in WW1. He moved to Leicester permanently before the outbreak of WW2. He was married to Cherie Bryans and had three children. I would love to know anything about him that you can tell me. I have never seen any of these photos before. 

Hi Avril,

I would love to send you copies I've made of the pages from Charles' Album.  How incredible, that the tie-up has been made!!  You'll have your Family Photos back.

Best way of contacting me is to go into my Web Page, about my 2014 Book: The Sky Their Battlefield II, where you will find an email link, under How to Buy. Here's the page link:

www.theskytheirbattlefield2.com

And just ping me your address, via an email.

My original digital images of the album I made are on a disc, in .psd (Photoshop) form, so I will need a little time to sort them into .jpgs, and get them on a USB for you.  If there are more, actually in the Album, relating to family/post RAF days (as I am sure my copying, back then, concentrated on him and the RAF, and the trip East) I'll try and scan them too - it's a big album!  So happy to be able to help. PS you'll love them all!    

Best Regards,

Trevor

Trevor, I cannot thank you enough. His last child died in 2016 so a lot of his history has gone, not to be retrieved. I didn’t ask enough questions when I had the opportunity. His Daughter In Law is still alive and living in Loughborough. I spoke to her this morning and she told me he was convinced Germany was going to bomb Ireland so he moved his family to Leicester, lied about his age and joined up again for WW2. He served throughout the entirety of WW2 but never went overseas. I will contact you on the other forum you have suggested. I look forward to seeing those photos. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Avril That is fantastic that you discovered your Great Grandfather on this forum. I will have a look through my Grandad's collection of photos and see if I can find anymore of Charles. I think my Grandad has the same photos that @fetubi has but there may be some additional ones.

@Matthew King I would be very grateful if you did have a look through your photos. Trevor opened up a whole history to me that I never knew about. The information he gave me allowed me to find out more about Charles’ activities between the wars. I also saw photos of my Great Grandmother and I had never seen her face before. The internet truly is an amazing forum. 😄