Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed identifying Welsh/US casualty buried in France

Hywyn

I wonder if anyone competent in searching US casualties could help me with this one please.

Newspaper article (Carnarvon, North Wales) dated 3/9/1918 states

"Pte R H Williams, son of Mrs Williams, 1 Church Street has been killed in the war. He was 30 years old. Eight years ago he emigrated to Bute, Montana and he had enlisted in the American Army"

I think he may be the following on a local gravestone whom I have not yet been able to positively identify

"Gravestone ..... commemorates Robert H Williams killed in action July 30th 1918 aged 30 years and buried at the Somme.

Any help in identifying him would be appreciated

TIA

Hywyn

HERE YOU ARE

Robert H. Williams

Private, U.S. Army

126th Infantry Regiment, 32nd Division

Entered the Service from: Montana

Died: August 4, 1918

Buried at: Plot C Row 22 Grave 20

Oise-Aisne American Cemetery

Fere-en-Tardenois, France

Chris (this is from the AMBC site - the US equivalent to the CWGC although less comprehensive- HERE

I cannot find him in the Montana entries for 'Soldiers of the Great War" (a bit like a less comprehensive SDGW for the US) - and there are not too many from Montana - very sparsely populated then as now.

I can have a bit more of a look for 126th Infantry info if it is of use

Edited by 4thGordons

The full history of the 126th Infantry is available HERE on Archive.org

It claims to have a roster/casulty lists etc but I have yet to find him

Chris

He is listed on page 313 Coy H - gives his home as IOWA so I will look in the Soldiers of the Great War volume for Iowa now.

Ididcates killed 8-4 (August 4th) and that he served in the Alsace sector and Chateau Thierry.

Great stuff, thanks and also thanks for the links to the AMBC/126th book as well. I'll have a more in depth look at the book in the morning.

As it happens, since I posted I found another Welsh/US casualty a bit further along in the paper. He was a Pte John Lloyd Hughes who died of pneumonia aged 25 years in France shortly before 27th August (which is when his parents received notification). Unfortunately he is not on the AMBC site and there is no state mentioned for him. Something else may crop up soon.

Thanks again

Hywyn