Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PACKER, William Joseph

Studlea

PACKER, William Joseph

William Joseph Packer b. 1896 London, joined up in October 1914 and served as a Private in 6th Dragoons but was injured out from France* (Flanders?) in April 1917. Pre & post war occupation was a driver and was later awarded a BEM. I found medal card on Ancestry giving regimental number as 8416 but nothing else. *He had a WW1 'Services rendered' lapel badge and 6th Dragoon Guards Cap Badge (Pre1922) Carabaniers as well as 1914 Star, Allied Victory medal, British War Medal.

If anyone can shed any more light on his service this would be very much appreciated..

Thanks.

Studlea

I looked too,including the Pension Records as he was discharged to wounds or sickness.No papers found. 7 Oct 1914 was his date for first landing in France,joining 6 Dragoon Guards (Caribiniers) who,according to the Long Long Trail,at top left of this page, were already there from August:

http://www.1914-1918.net/dragoonguards.htm

There is also a page for 2 Cavalry Division,to which his unit belonged,and from which you will see their deployments/battles,but for the moment I can't persude it to appear here.

I would think that he was already a soldier,or part-time, pre -war.

You can read of their exploits in the unit War Diary which is at the National Archives under WO95/1137. It is not yet digital so you will either have to visit Kew or see if anyone has it, or part of it they are willing to share.There might also be a book on their war.

He received a Silver War Badge,in addition to the three campaign medals,on his discharge, the date of which was 20 April 1917. This badge has the "Services Rendered" you mention, plus "For King and Empire" along the top.

Sotonmate

Dear Sotonmate,

That's wonderful thank you very much. The suggestion he was in service before 1914 is quite possible. He was fending for himself from a young age by the looks of things, and the army would have provided a home. I wonder if he was in a motorised cavalry division if there was such a thing. Another possible link is on his discharge, he became a tenant of Grosvenor estates (Duke of Westminster or Duke Bendor as he was known) in Chester, a long way from his London roots. I have spoken to the archivist there and apart from basic tenant records there is nothing else to know. He received the BEM for his civil exploits during WWII. Quite a chap.

Thanks again.