Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adrian Victor CREE

delia

Hello,

I am new to this site and please forgive me if I do things incorrectly.

I am trying to find out some details on my suspected Great Grandfather. His name was Adrian Victor Cree and he was a Second Lieutenant in the 10th Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He died on the 17th February 1916. He is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial. I believe he died before the Battle of the Somme and after looking at the timeline of the Royal Welsh they did not seem to be in any conflict around the time of his death. Could anyone out there suggest where or what he may have been doing before he died.

Thank You

Delia

Hi there delia and welcome to the GWF ,here are some links to look at.

http://www.cwgc.org/...asualty=1608426

http://www.1914-1918.net/rwf.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/25div.htm

that should give you some information

best reguards

IanAnder

:thumbsup:

Hello,

I am trying to find out some details on my suspected Great Grandfather. His name was Adrian Victor Cree and he was a Second Lieutenant in the 10th Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He died on the 17th February 1916. He is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial. I believe he died before the Battle of the Somme and after looking at the timeline of the Royal Welsh they did not seem to be in any conflict around the time of his death. Could anyone out there suggest where or what he may have been doing before he died.

Thank You

Delia

Delia - you are in luck -Click HEREand pay 3 pounds fifty and you can get full details - this is the 10bn war diary and it has been digitised by the national archive.

Chris

He's showing on soldiers died in the great war as 'killed in action' - so that War Diary sounds like just the thing you want, and at £3.50 it's worth biting their hands off for it!

According to sdgw around 20 OR's died that day too so looks like they were definitley engaged with / by the enemy.

The war diary is a good idea.

Hello,

Thank You

Delia

Hi Delia,

The War Diary states that the battalion was in the trenches N.E of St Eloi.

On the 17th at 05:30 the enemy heavily bombarded the Battalion trenches.

21 casualties - killed, including Lt A V Cree.

Hope this helps

Cam.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your very helpful comments and assistance on the topic of The Royal Welsh.

I have, as suggested, downloaded the 3rd Division's War Diaries. What awful and harrowing reading it makes.

I have always had an interest in the Great War following a school trip in the early 70's to the War Cemeteries of France. As my children grew up I tried to educate them on the atrocities of War.

Thanks again for all the help you have given and I'm sure I will be returning to ask more questions in the future as I have several more Ancestors who were involved in the conflict.

Regards

Delia:)

I am trying to find out some details on my suspected Great Grandfather.

Delia

If it helps in determining whether you have the right Adrian Victor Cree this ones mother is shown as Mrs Cree, 2 Greencourt Flats, Greenhills, Weymouth

Hywyn

Delia

If it helps in determining whether you have the right Adrian Victor Cree this ones mother is shown as Mrs Cree, 2 Greencourt Flats, Greenhills, Weymouth

Hywyn

Hi Hywyn,

I say suspected because no one in the family can actually confirm that he was the father of my Grandmother. My Great Nan in her final days talked very affectionately during her ramblings about Adrian, but never going as far as confirming him to be the father of her only child. At that time none of us knew who Adrian was. It wasn't until I had access to the 1911 census and finding Great Nan in service at the Cree family home. Young Adrian wasn't there on census night but tracking him down through the 1901 census I could put the pieces together. I may be wrong and Adrian may not be my Great Grandfather but while researching him I have discovered lots of interesting information.

Delia

Right, I see Delia. I thought you suspected him to be your grandfather as opposed to any other Adrian Cree that may have served. I now see that there was only one of that name anyway in Medals. I'm too used to having more than one when searching Jones etc!! :-)

Hywyn