Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas William Bell

abbrover

I have the service papers for Thomas William Bell, but I am a little confused about something and wondered if anyone can help.

At the bottom of the page under "wounds and hurts" it states he was with Ex Force France from 25/09/16 to 02/03/17 and 15/06/17 to 11/09/17 when he was killed. I'm okay with that as I assume it means he was wounded and home between 02/03/17 and 15/06/17.

However, at the top of the page it states he was with 2nd RM Bn. from 26/09/16 to 30/04/17 and then Victory V R. M. Bde from 01/05/17 to 16/06/17. I have previously been told that Victory is the shore based pay section, which makes sense if he was home wounded.

Where I am confused is the period 02/03/17 to 30/04/17. Was he wounded at this time but still classed as being part of the 2nd Bn? Would it have taken that long before he was returned home to recuperate? Or am I missing something simple here that is staring me in the face!

can anyone help me?

Thanks

Judith

Hi,

Just curious, where is Mr. Bell from? I have been researching quite a few Bell family members from Sheffield.

-Daniel

Judith

I would say that from being wounded,being treated,recuperating at a home hospital and return to a UK unit,viz VICTORY,could make up the time you puzzle over.During that time he may have continued to be on the strength of 2 RM Bn,then posted to VICTORY to complete his return to A1 fitness before returning to the Bn in France. I see that 2 Bn was in the same area around Gavrelle for several months of 1917 as there is a string of their casualties buried in the same Cemetery as Thomas.

Sotonmate

He was invalided (not necessarily wounded - he may have been ill) to UK 1 May 1917 and was then drafted back to 2/RMLI 17 June 1917. During all his service with the Royal Naval Division he was borne on the books of HMS VICTORY, whether at home or with the BEF.

I think you are mis-reading 02/03/17 for 02/05/17 (or 01/05/17). His first period with the BEF was 25/9/16 - 1/5/17 (or 2/5/17).

Thank you for your help.

Daniel - Thomas William Bell was from Bromborough, Wirral, no where near Sheffield I'm afraid.

Horatio2 - His papers definately say 02/03/1917 but maybe this was some sort of clerical error as 01/05/1917 ties in with the dates at the top of his papers and with what you have said.

Thanks again

Judith

Thank you for your help.

Daniel - Thomas William Bell was from Bromborough, Wirral, no where near Sheffield I'm afraid.

Horatio2 - His papers definately say 02/03/1917 but maybe this was some sort of clerical error as 01/05/1917 ties in with the dates at the top of his papers and with what you have said.

Thanks again

Judith

Another total aside, but there was a schooner (which was in reality a rumrunner) called the William T Bell that ran aground not far from here during prohibition. Here's what she looked like on the beach:

bell.jpg

Here's what's left of her today:

39090_144223328931633_120951544592145_303844_4433561_n.jpg

Adam Grohman wrote a great book on her.

-Daniel

The notes under Wounds & Hurts contradict the service noted in the main service text. Plenty of mistakes made in this section for Portsmouth Marines. More likely sickness forced him back to the UK, as a wound would most likely be noted. Further info may be found in his service papers in ADM/157, the conduct sheets would give dates to tally with one date or the other. However, is it is quite possible he was invalided back to the UK in March 1917, as there was a lot of sickness/trench foot around this time. It may be that the 1st of May 1917 was the date he rejoined the Reserves at Blandford after release from UK hospital & the 14 days leave which such cases received.

The date 26/9/16, was the date of the draft for 2nd RM Battn. No-one in this draft was posted direct to 2RM, they all went to the RND Base at Etaples & awaited posting. Many went first to an Entrenching Battalion before reaching 2RM. The most common date for their draft to 2RM was after 13/11/16, to fill up the ranks after the Battle of the Ancre, although some would have joined 2RM prior to the battle.