Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish Horse

Jonesy6113

Hello All,

Can anyone point me in the right direction ? I`m looking for a history of The Scottish Horse during WW1.

Many thanks.

You have the 13th Battalion Black Watch formed from the 1st and 2nd Regiment of the Scottish Horse.

13th B/W formed 29th September 1916, 13th October was the first they were known as 13th Black Watch.You get this history of the 13th in," A History Of The Black Watch"

If I can help with a look up in this book give me a shout. :thumbsup:

Gary

Edit:They kept S/H uniform,and were always known as the Scottish Horse Battalion.

You have the 13th Battalion Black Watch formed from the 1st and 2nd Regiment of the Scottish Horse.

13th B/W formed 29th September 1916, 13th October was the first they were known as 13th Black Watch.You get this history of the 13th in," A History Of The Black Watch"

If I can help with a look up in this book give me a shout. :thumbsup:

Gary

Edit:They kept S/H uniform,and were always known as the Scottish Horse Battalion.

Thanks for your replies.

Gary, Are we talking about the three volume history by Wauchope ? I admit that I have been going to buy it for some time.

With regard to the uniform - where the 13th badged Black Watch ?

I notice from my relatives medal card that he has three service numbers: Scottish Horse: 5286. Royal Hldrs: 267227 and Royal Hldrs: 5239

I know that he ended up in 6th Black Watch and died of wounds at home in November 1917 - He has been mentioned on the site before - Robert Downie Kellas.

Cheers.

Andy.

Hi Andy

Yes it is Wauchope,and of the uniform it does go on to say "that the 13th were permitted to retain their uniform,badges ect;and throughout their conection with the Regiment (except for correspondence and records)they were known as the Scottish Horse Battalion".(HBW)

Gary.

Hi Andy

Yes it is Wauchope,and of the uniform it does go on to say "that the 13th were permitted to retain their uniform,badges ect;and throughout their conection with the Regiment (except for correspondence and records)they were known as the Scottish Horse Battalion".(HBW)

Gary.

Hi Gary,

I have just bought the Wauchope history ! :D Thanks for the info on the 13th.

A wee bit off topic, but one of my reasons for asking if the SH where badged BW is that I have a WW1 photo of a soldier in a diced glengarry. I know that the BW wore plain glengarrys - and believe that the SH wore Atholl bonnets.

There are no clues on the photo as to who the soldier is, although I am sure he would be a relative as the photo was amongst things belonging to my Grandparents. A cousin tells me that the soldier looks like a relative who lost an eye - however I was told as a child that this particular relative was in BW. Hope that makes sense ??

Aye

Andy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andy

I had done a little research into the Scottish Horse as my Great grandfather was originally drafted into the 3/3rd in 1916.

I have a picture of him in his uniform.

He was transferred across to the 8th Black Watch and then onto the 4th Gordons in France.

I wasnt able to find much but I did get in contact with a man from the Scottish horse museum in Dunkled Scotland.

They have a collection of records and photos and you can arrange to see them.

On a recent trip to Scotland I went arrange to have a look, I was looking for a needle in a haystack, but i did get to see the Register book with my Great Grandfathers details.

If your interested i can pm you the guys email.

Cheers

Toby

Hi Toby,

Thanks for your reply. If you could send me the details of your contact in Dunkeld that would be great!! :thumbsup:

Cheers.

Andy.

Unfortunately the Scottish Horse museum in the square at Dunkeld has been closed for some years now - their archives were removed to the Fife & Forfar Yeomanry museum at Cupar, Fife, where thay can currently be consulted (though they're uncatalogued!)

George

Hi George,

I think that you are mistaken. I was in touch with and visited in 2006, the Chapter House Museum in Dunkeld Cathedral, where the archives of the Scottish Horse are now held. The curator is an ex Army officer by the name of David Arbuthnott and his email is: david.sonja@ukonline.co.uk

Unfortunately the Archive Room is only open on Mondays between 10am and 12noon, rather a tight slot unless you happen to live locally!!

Hope that this helps,

Robert

Robert or Toby,

Are Boer War service records of the Scottish Horse held there?

Scott

Hi Scott,

The museum hold a series of Muster Books for the S.H., which typically give, date and place of enlistment, previous service, medal entitlement and other personal details such as NOK details. Some entries are more comprehensive than others--from memory!! If you contact the Curator he is very helpful.

I hope that this helps,

Robert

Robert or Toby,

Are Boer War service records of the Scottish Horse held there?

Scott

An after thought! I believe the service files are held at the National Archives at Kew, at least for the survivors. I believe that the files of those killed during the Boer War were destroyed in line with other casualties service records.

I believe that the researcher Paul Baillie has an interest in the S.H. and would be able to advise you on these better than I? His email: paulbaillie@tiscali.co.uk

Best wishes, Robert

Robert,

Thank you for those contacts. I may be able to progress a little more with a project.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Gday Andy

Im very sorry for the really late reply, Ive been away with work.

The post from Robert is what I was going to email you.

David was fantastic in showing me the records and letting me pour over the photos

My interest was only in my Great Grandfather who enlisted in 1916 so I didnt look too much further a field than that.

I had travelled from Australia to visit Dunkled and David managed to make some time to show me oustide the normal hours.

Cheers

Toby

Hi George,

I think that you are mistaken. I was in touch with and visited in 2006, the Chapter House Museum in Dunkeld Cathedral, where the archives of the Scottish Horse are now held. The curator is an ex Army officer by the name of David Arbuthnott and his email is: david.sonja@ukonline.co.uk

Unfortunately the Archive Room is only open on Mondays between 10am and 12noon, rather a tight slot unless you happen to live locally!!

Hope that this helps,

Robert