Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lieut James Alexander Lock

AlW

Evening all,

Does anyone have any info on 2nd Lieut James A Lock, 10th NF please?

I have the info provided by CWGC and his MIC but despite his wife (and him?) living in Ashington, Northumberland, he doesn't appear on the Ashington war memorial - unless I missed it! - it's not an easy one to read because there are a serious number of names listed on it!

Further searches in local newspapers for obit's etc.have turned up nothing.

It would appear that he joined the ranks in Artists Rifles prior to receiving a commission in the NF which also strikes me as odd if he was an Ashington lad.

Altogether a puzler.

I've hit a wall on this one - and any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Alan W

AW

There are five Officer Service Files at Kew for J LOCK. They do not identify a unit from the entry on the series WO339,you have to examine the file to narrow it down,unless someone here can help single him out from the WO338 Index. These are the numbers:

WO339/64977 ; 90123 ; 116838 ; 124028 and 125951.

These nice people have been pretty good lately and usually come up with the goods on the correct file number,but you still need to look at the file at Kew,or get someone to do it for you.

Sotonmate

It would appear that he joined the ranks in Artists Rifles prior to receiving a commission in the NF which also strikes me as odd if he was an Ashington lad.

What's so odd? The Artists Rifles were an Officer Training Corps. He would presumably been trained with them before receiving his commission. The Artists Rifles history (together with lists of men who served with them and were commissioned from their ranks, sometimes with brief service details, is availible to read online or download free at archive.org. Would post a link, but haven't got time to look for it, I'm afraid.

Edit; it's HERE. I've posted the 'read online' version, but you can also download it if you want. Found 2 references to him (roll of honour and his commission into the N Fus, though there should also be at least one other in the nominal roll), though there are often spelling mistakes).

The probate records give the following:

"LOCK, James Alexander of 6, West Park-road, Gateshead died 26, September 1916 in France. Administration (with Will) Durham 24 November to Annie Clara Lock widow. Effects £528 8s 4d."

I believe the 1911 Census has this couple:

49, Tregarvon Road, Wandsworth, London

James Alexander Lock, Head, 30, Manufacturers Clerk (Asbestos and Rubber Manufacturer), Born London Camberwell

Annie Clara Lock, Wife, 34, London Camberwell

James Alexander Lock had married Annie Clara Bonsey in 1903 Camberwell RD

James Alexander Lock born in 1881 in Camberwell appears to have been the son of Frank Lock and his wife Jane Lock (nee Badenoch). He had 3 younger brothers:

Frederick Charles Lock born 1883

Henry John Lock born 1885

Robert Sidney Lock born 1888

In 1911 his parents were living at 15, Maude Road, Camberwell

His brother Henry John Lock served as a Sergeant, SR/660, 2nd Battalion, Middlesex Regiment he was killed on 9th May 1915 and is commemorated on the Ploegsteert Memorial

If this is the right man I don't know where the Ashington or Gateshead connections come in maybe he moved into the area to work between 1911 and the start of the war

Regards

Pam