Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion West Yorkshires

fella

Hi

Just wondered if anyone had access to any war diaries for the 2nd Battlaion West Yorkshires on the 10th and 11th March 1915 at the Battle of Neuve Chapelle.

My great great uncle was killed there, officially on the 11th but it could well have been on the 10th and he is commemorated on the war memorial at Le Touret which I have recently visited. His body was never found.

He was L/Cpl John Clarkson, 4/8374. I know the 2nd Battalion were recalled to the UK from Malta at the outbreak of war and from there then landed at Le Havre on 05/11/14 - however from info I have already been provided with (e.g. medal roll, regiment number etc) John Clarkson appears to have joined the 4th Battalion around Aug 1914 and sent to join the 2nd Battalion on 10/02/15, was made L/Cpl on landing in France and killed 4 weeks later.

As the 2nd West Yorks appear to have been attacking on the 10th and in a holding position on the 11th I believe he was probably killed on the 10th as the mayhem of this would lead to his body not being found, whereas if killed while in a holding postion I would've thought his body could be retrieved unless directly hit by artillery fire. If killed on the 10th it is possible he was not listed as such till roll call the following day.

I would really appreciate any details on the 2nd West Yorks movements on those days.

Many Thanks

Dave

Dave

I have seen this in a War Diary,where there is a roll call next day and casualties from the day before are inclusive.

You are looking for War Diary WO95/1714,which unfortunately is not yet digital.

Sotonmate