Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika Diaries of Colonel George Hamilton Gordon DSO, CMG Royal Fie

bobrob

I have received a reply from Alan Greveson (thanks Alan) that these diaries are rare and extensive. Col. Gordon was my maternal grrandfather,and the diaries are archived in the Liddle Collection SAL 028. I am working on educating myself, by reading as much as I can about this Campaign, as it is my intention to to research both the personal, as well as the military aspects.He died in 1961, when I was 11 years old, and due to family circumstances, I did not have a great deal of contact with him. I have a photograph of him with Winston Churchill c 1915, as well as a photo of his wife in an aeroplane c. 1912 with Charles Romney (Sammy) Samson RNAS , CO of Eastchurch in 1914, one of the pioneers of the RNAS.

I am interested in conversing with anyone who has read his diaries, or who has an interest in the RFA's activities in the campaign, as I shall be visiting the Collection within the month. It is also most unusual that my paternal grandfather Major C.F. Henley 1st Bn. Ox & Bucks LI , taken prisoner at Kut in 1916, should also have an archive in the Liddle Collection MES 045, and again I am interested in a dialogue.

References to date with thanks to members

Under the Devils Eye

The Story of the Salonica Army

Regimental Chronicles of the Ox & Bucks LI

The Ox & Bucks LI by Philip Booth

This site has been a mind opener and many thanks to all

The Gardeners of Salonika was recently republished and complements Under the Devil's Eye very well, IMO.

Keith

I can heartily second Jonathan's suggestion. Ruth and I went to last year's get-together and had a terrific time. We were made extremely welcome, the food at the Civil Service Club was excellent, the talk was top-drawer and even the AGM was interesting! :)

Keith

I have been researching the RFA of the 26th Division and collected a range of maps and war diaries. Happy to share any information.

Andrew