Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching my Great Granddad

Guest andy151

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping and wondering if anyone could shed some light on my great granddad (details below).

I've got very little to go by and the info I've got has been gained over the last week or so.

I read a history on here of the 2/5th btn Duke of Wellington Regt and the events that occured on the 3rd May 1917, and was totally amazed by info on what happened . The date of 3rd May 1917 is also the date that my relative also died. Does anyone have any more useful info or could point me in the right direction to get it.

The family know only that he died in WW1 and thats it. There are on photos, where he went, how long he was in the army for or anything. So I've nothing to go on.

I hope someone might be able to help in anyway.

Thank you

Andy

Last name: Sykes

First name(s): Walter

Initials: W

Birthplace: Upper Hopton, Yorks

Enlisted: Dewsbury

Residence: Upper Hopton

Regiment, Corps etc.: Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)

Battalion etc.: 2/5th Battalion.

Formed at Huddersfield Oct. 1914. Subsequent record same as 2/4th Bn. until Jan. 1918. 30.1.18 absorbed by 1/5th Bn.

Number: 241919

Date died: 3 May 1917

How died: Killed in action

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Hi Andy and welcome to the Forum.

I don't think you've mentioned that he's commemorated on the Arras Memorial - http://www.cwgc.org/...asualty=1671810 There's a link through to a bit of the history.

I see from his MIC that he doesn't have a 1914 or 15 Star, so unless there's another card somewhere (which happens on occasion) it indicates that he didn't serve abroad before 1 January 1916. Unfortunately, they stopped putting the date of arrival in theatre on around the same time. He could have enlisted in 1915, say, and the training would have taken a few months, but you'll either need his service records or someone who knows the numbering system failing that. You may be aware that the service records took a direct hit in WW2 and I understand around only 30% survived (and many of those have fire and water damage).

I'm sure the experts will be along shortly to help you fill in the gaps.

[Edited to add - he's also mentioned on his local War Memorial: http://www2.kirklees....aspx?mid=48#s5 There seem to be two plus a W Sykes grave which may be the other W Sykes, of course. I think this may be part of the legendary Geoff's search engine, which I've not used before but you'll see there's a contact email address.

I note this man:

Name: Walter Sykes

Estimated birth year: abt 1899

Age at Enlistment:18

Residence: Hollin Hall Upper Hopton, Mirfield

Document Year: 1917

Regimental Number: 43702

Regiment Name: Yorks Regt

Is he a relative or pure coincidence? He signs up just a matter of months after your man dies.]

He almost certainly didn't serve overseas before January 1917, so he would have been in France for only a pretty short space of time before he was killed.

2/5th WRR only arrived in France in Jan '17, and your man's regimental number (assuming that there are no other service numbers on his MIC) indicate that his first overseas service was sometime in early 1917. So he almost certainly arrived in France with the rest of his battalion. I suspect, judging by his regimental number, that he may have joined up sometime in late '15 or early '16, but this is just an educated guess.

Andy

His number dates to March 1916. He would have had an earlier four digit number as well, probably in the 53** or 54** range, but obviously arrived overseas after the TF had been re-numbered.

Paul

Andy

There is a War Diary at Kew for 2/5 DOWs which covers the period that your subject was in a war zone,reference WO95/3086 at the National Archives. His death was at the Battle of Bullecourt which ran from 3-17 May 1917.

Sotonmate

Hi

If its possible id go to Dewsbury Library and get the Dewsbury News and Dewsbury Reporter on fiche look at dates from about 12-19th May 1917

There is a headline "Duke of Wellingtons in action-Mirfield Ravensthorpe And Northorpe men missing"

The papers have casualty lists and you MAY get an obituary notice later on.

I also recommend David Tattersfields book "A Village Goes To War" it is centred on Ravensthorpe however theres a lot in it about the local Battalions actions

Having researched Spen Valley men ...Bullecourt was the second blackest day in the area after 3rd Sept 1916

Forum Member DaveC has a great database on WRR TF lads he may pick up on this thread.

Ady

If you want to obtain a copy of his death certificate the details are as follows:-

Military Section: Army

Forename: WALTER

Surname: SYKES

Regiment: W.R.R.

Military Number: 241919

Year Of Death: 1917

Volume: Volume I.39; Page 391

Andy,

You might like to know that I have listed all the names of the missing commemorated on the Arras Memorial killed at Bullecourt as one of the appendices in my forthcoming book 'Bullecourt 1917: Breaching the Hindenburg Line', released in September. Private Walter Sykes 241919, is on the list.

If you want further details please contact me at paul.kendall193@btiniternet.com

Best wishes

Paul Kendall

WOW :D

Thank you for all the replies to the request for information. I cant thank you all enough. I'm getting the book from the local libary, I'm off to visit the Upper Hopton Church, going to look at the Dewsbury Reporter and trawl through the sites mentioned. I'll get back to you in a few days after I've checked things out and give you an update.

Again thank you all

Andy