Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Liberation Army ?WW1

heatherannej

Hello there

I have a souvenir handkerchief with B.L.A. embroidered on it - it came with some WW1 postcards. Do the initials stand for British Liberation Army and is it WW1 please? Image attached.

Many thanks in anticipation, as always. Heather

post-5774-031889600 1281542099.jpg

The only times I have seen the term "British Liberation Army", it referred to WW2, 1944-5.

There may be some WW1 reference with which I am unfamiliar, but I would bet it's WW2 or post-war. Doc

Hello Heather

The "Union Jack" does not appear as a coat of arms and the crown and supporters are not of the usual British designs. It looks like a foreign-made souvenir. Difficult to date although most likely to be 20th century.

The name "British Liberation Army" was not used officially =, as far as I know, in respect of either WW1 or WW2,or the respective post-war periods.

Ron

Thank you very much for the insight. I'm grateful for the replies, much appreciated. Heather

The name "British Liberation Army" was not used officially =, as far as I know, in respect of either WW1 or WW2,or the respective post-war periods.

Ron

That is not correct. The British and Commonwealth Forces in NW Europe 1944-45 officially were the British Liberation Army (BLA); as the war came to an end many said it really stood for "Burma Looms Ahead".