Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Inniskilling William Doole

bcampbell

Hello all,

I haven't posted in quite a while, side tracked with family tree!

I've come across a Pte. W. Doole supposedly of the 10th Inniskillings but there is no mention in "3 Cheers". There is a J. Doole possibly his brother listed in the book. His Number was 28154, from the image details of his medal index card looks as though he also served with Cameron Highlanders. His number indicates he probably didn't enlist until after 1914. Would he have been transferred to the Camerons to serve after the derrys had been disbanded, was it a matter of going where you were needed most? If there is no mention of another corps on a medal index card would that indicate that the soldier had left service before the 10th was disbanded.

Regards, Brian

Brian

28154 William DOOLE R Inn F and also 34617 Cameron Highlanders. It may be that he changed Regiment in Feb 1918 when the 10th were disbanded in France,most of the soldiers joining the 2nd Battalion. From that we can deduce that not all joined the 2nd Battalion,so he may have gone to the CH then. Another scenario is that he might have been sick or wounded and on return to duty posted to the next needy Regiment.

15484 James DOOLE R Inn F and also 05478 Hampshire R landed in France on 5 Oct 1915,the same day as 9,10 and 11 Battalions of the R Inn F. We might deduce the same as above for a change of Regiment.You can confirm his Bn by reference to the original Medal Roll at Kew under WO329/1267 page 903.

Sotonmate

Thanks Sotonmate,

I've just been looking at my GGrandfathers index card. He also served with the 10th Inniskillings but there is no mentioning of another regiment. Would this indicate that he had been sent home (through injury or sickness)before the 10th's disbandment. Surely if he had still been serving at this time and transferred to the 2nd Bn. there might have been a clash of service numbers with one of the men from the 2nd.

Regards,

Brncam

Brian

I think that the service numbers were Regimental series and not Battalion,apart from those which had a battalion prefix, like the Hampshire 8th Battalion had 8-xxxx as a unique number.If your GF moved from one Battalion to another in the same Regiment he would take his number with him.It only changed if he went outside of the Regiment,as his new one needed another unique number from within it's own series for him.

Sotonmate

Brian,

The 10th Inniskillings were one of the best examples of alpha/numerical listings for service numbers of the original members, which makes them quite easy to track.

So any man with a 15... number between 15264-16124 should be a 10th man, though not all went overseas or made it through basic training.

If you check the casulty lists for the 1st, 2nd or 9th Battalions you will see 15.. numbers. These are the men who were dispersed on the battalion being disbanded and their dates of death should be after Feb1918.

It is difficult to say where the men were posted to without additional evidence, but i seem to find more in the 9th but higher casulties in the 2nd.

By far the majority of transfered men, before disbandment, went to the Labour Corps and were re-numbered accordingly. These men, i assume, were not A1 fit following wounds or sickness.

So service cards with only one number and saying 'Z' reserve will have gone through from the 10th to one of the other Inniskilling Battalions then to the finish.

With one number and the card saying 'discharged' , the man could have left from either the 10th or one of the others at anytime if they'd been transfered after Feb 18.

Men with initial Inniskilling numbers and another number with second or third regiments was most probably transfered on return from wounds. So being sent to a base dispersal camp and not having a choice.

Again this could have been at any time.

This i find interesting, as when there was an argument about Irish recruitment late in the war, why were Irish volunteers not sent back to Irish regiments!

Prior to disbandment the 10th Inniskillings had at least 50 [returning] men sent to other non Irish regiments.

With regard to James and William Doole.

James was an original 10th man, 15484, who later was sent to the Hampshire regiment. Date of transfer not known. Listed in 10th's roll of honour.

William is not listed as there is no connection between him and the 10th that i was aware of at the time the roll was compiled. Is there anything you have to tie him to the Btn?

Also his number, 28154, is very high. There are not many in the 10th with this high a number and of those it is possible to use as a reference it would seem they were out late 1916.

The medal card indicates he was not entitled to a 1914/15 Star so did not arrive until after Jan 1st 1916.

I would think enlistment in late 1915.

There is a possibility, as he was probably not attached to the Ulster Division Inniskilling Reserve Btn, the 12th, that he landed in France as an Inniskilling and was posted very soon to the CH's, from base camp, before even getting to a Skins Btn.

Rob