Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMHS Asturias/Durham LI /Northumberland Fus?

ARMAGH

I have received a postcard from a friend with a request for information on the details of the card.

The postcard has the HMSH Asturias on one side and the other the Address "Sharman* (no mr miss or mrs) 36 George St Newcastle on tyne England.

The message is hard to read"",from your loving husband".

I was gave the name William Sharman who lived at that address may have been in the Durham Light Infantry or Northumberland Fusiliers???

any one any informations.

Joe

Joe

Private William SHARMAN 235159 of the 25th Northumberland Fusiliers (Tyneside Irish)?

He was killed in France on 9.4.1917 and is buried in St Laurent-Blagny.

No address shown on the CWGC entry.

Sotonmate

Hi.

Two MICs for William Sharman and Northumberland Fusiliers, the chap Sotomate located and a Serjeant.

Medal card of Sharman, William W

Northumberland Fusiliers 5096 Private

Northumberland Fusiliers 235159 Private

Catalogue reference WO 372/18

http://www.nationala...&resultcount=75

Medal card of Sharman, William E

Northumberland Fusiliers 21923 Serjeant

Catalogue reference WO 372/18

http://www.nationala...&resultcount=75

Couldn't see one for that name and Durham Light Infantry.

regards,

Martin

Thanks Gents

I note on the back of the card,it is stamped "RECEIVED FROM HM SHIP NO CHARGE TO BE RAISED"

The message on the card is partly unreadable, "You to let"??? "That I come????? in this boat"???? "Thats all just now"?? " from you loving husband"

T he soldier must have been a passenger on this ship From ?? To???

Joe

• 7 years later...
  • 6 years later...

Hi all,

Pvt William Sharman 235159 was my Nana's Grandfather. 
For her 90th birthday this year, I have been trying to research more about her family history. 
All she knew off her Grandfather was that he was stationed on the HMSH Asturias and never came home, and presumed to have died during WWI, but not much else was ever discussed with her.  I've since learned that he Died on the 9th April 1917 in France as stated above and was with the 1/6th, 1/4th and the 1/25th Northumberland Fusiliers. And was Killed in Action.

@ARMAGH Do you still have the postcard? If it's possible I'd love to receive a copy of it, as I know it would mean a lot to my nana.  My nana is originally from Tynside, but now lives in Armagh (as do I).

Any information anyone has with regards Pvt W.W. Sharman or the Btn he was on would be very much appreciated! 

Many thanks, 
Celine