Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal West Surrey Regiment Soldier

mametzwood

Hi All,

I am researching a great grandfather for a friend, George Freeman who he believes was the Drum Major in The Royal West Surrey Regiment and to which his cap badge is. I have checked on Ancestry but to no avail.

George was born in 1868 in Northamptonshire, he may have served in the Boer War but I am unsure if he served in WW1 as things are pointing to he left UK in 1910 to Australia.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SWBpost-26677-001165500 1281523598.jpg

SWB

There are two surname FREEMAN in the medal Index Cards for the QRWSurreys:

George FREEMAN Private S/336 QRWS,then posted to 21388 Norfolk Regt.Landed in France 19.1.1915. Three campaign medals.

Alfred George FREEMAN Private L/8401 1st Battalion QRWS. Landed in France 12.8.1914 (suggesting that he was a regular soldier) Three campaign Medals. Prisoner of War later.

No other info uncovered to assist in saying that one or other of these is your man.

In relation to possible service in the Boer War there are medal lists at Kew specifically for the Royal West Surrey Regt in WO100/166 which might give a name similar to his.

Sotonmate

• Admin

Name

Freeman

Casualty Type:Wounded

Casualty Date:16 Feb 1902

Casualty Place:Vakfontein

Force:South Africa Field Force

Regiment:Royal West Surrey Regiment

Battalion2nd Battalion

Number:1537

Ancestry list this man as being wounded in Casualties of the Boer War no idea if he's your man.

Find my Past has two Geo. Freeman on the migration list to Australia for 1909 and 1912 respectively

In 1914 he would have been 46, and too old for the initial recruitment to the AIF, the upper age limit was 36. A search of the NAA confirms this. There are 262 'Freeman', quite a few born in England, but none in Northampton.

I don't know but would he not be wearing a campaign ribbon if he'd been in the Boer War? I'm guessing there's more to be learned from the photo might help if you put a line on the thread for the uniform experts.

Ken

Sorry about the formatting

Edited by kenf48