Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt H B Ledger KIA 20/11/17

Ravrick

Hi,

can anybody help me out with any details relating to the death of 2/lt Harold partington Ledger, Pilot 3 Sqn RFC killed in action (shot down) 20 nov 1917?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Hi Rick, 2/Lt Ledger was killed in action on the first day of the Battle of Cambrai when Number 3 squadron, which was based at Warloy at that time, took part in a series of dawn raids against several German aerodromes. According to Trevor Henshaw's "The Sky Their Battlefield", 20th November 1917 was a disastrous day for the squadron. In the course of the morning's sorties, three of No 3 squadron's pilots were killed (2/Lt Ledger in Camel No B6373) and two were taken prisoner of war, with many of the aircraft either forced to crash-land on the allied side or over the lines and captured by the enemy. On that morning there was a great deal of mist and two of the aircraft apparently crashed into trees on the return journey. From the wording of the text in the book I cannot be sure how 2/Lt Ledger died (whether shot down or crashing behind enemy lines) but he was listed as 'Missing in Action'. He was buried at Marcoing in France. Perhaps if Trevor reads this post he may be able to add more details from his archival notes taken from the casualty cards recorded for that day.

Regards

Steve

Hi Rick and Steve,

Sorry, but I can't add anthing more. A picture of one of the other lost 3 Sqn Camels on that grim morning turned up - B6385 in which 2Lt TJ Kent came down and was taken prisoner - but nothing on 2Lt Ledger. I note my entry says he was forced to return - this sounds like he was shot up by gorund fire or AA en route and was seen by others turning back. Speculatively, I wonder if he was hit and wounded and either could not fly his damaged aircraft or else passed out and crashed.

Trevor

Guys,

many thanks for the info, much appreicated,

Rick

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I am curious to know why you are interested in H. P. Ledger?

I have few photographs of. Ledger, I think he was killed flying into telegraph wire.

Regards

David