Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Moses Jones MM 1/6 RWF

Trebrys

Dear Folks of the Forum,

I am about to head off for the States tomorrow, but I've been asked by a friend whether I could help him find anything on a great-uncle of his. His name was William Moses Jones of Fronogwen, Tregarth near Bethesda and according to the family history he was killed by a sniper whilst repairing some telephone wires on 9 March 1918. A quick piece of research suggests that it was during the Battle of Tell-Asur as he was with the 1/6th RWF. The story goes that he was given the MM for this, but the family is uncertain of this.

He is buried at the Jerusalem War Cemetery according to the CWGC site and his regimental number was 266194. Would the powers that be be able to decipher the reg numbers' details for me, please? That is, enlistment etc???

Anything else that could be found by the experts would be gratefully received. I would jump into the books that I have myself, but as I am about to set off for the Big Apple I'd be grateful for any help as there is a degree of urgency required in acquiring any details.

I hope the experts will forgive me for dropping the pebble like this and then run away. I wouldn't ask for help like this otherwise.

Diolch o galon / Many thanks.

Trebrys.

Service Record (21 images, it says) is on Ancestry under William M Jones, 3628, RWF.

Adrian

EDIT: Image #256348:

"Awarded Military Medal for acts of gallantry & devotion to duty in the field" on 13/11/17, so not for the action in which he was killed!

Thank you all VERY MUCH for all that has been given so far!!! I know my friend will be delighted with this!

What does the London Gazette supplement actually do? Is it a formal recognition or acknowledgement of the award of the MM? As Jones had been killed on March 9 would he have known that this was coming?

Where would the action of November 13 1917 have been? Where were the 1/6 RWF then? Was it the action at El Kubeibeh and Beit Jibrin, I wonder?

Many thanks for the heads-up with Ancestry too!

And the photo!!!!!! Aargh!! Ah well! Thanks all the same!!

Regards,

Trebrys.