Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Oakes RWF - A long fight for survival

nthornton1979

Whilst trawling my local library microfilm for a certain soldier, I stumbled across an article in relation to a Pte J W Oakes of the RWF. I made copies of the pages :-

WOUNDED AND MISSING FOR EIGHT DAYS

The death of Private Sydney John Wm Oakes has been officially notified to his relatives at 19 Moon Street, Widnes. He was wounded on Whit-Sunday and lay in 'No Man's Land' for eight days. The story of his rescue is told by his Brigade Commander in a letter dated 5th June, as follows -

Yesterday, whilst looking over the parapet, a soldier was seen in 'No Man's Land. After considerable trouble and through the great bravery of a man who went out to assist him, Private S J W Oakes, 56244,- Welsh Fusiliers, was brought in. He had been wounded in the upper arm on Whit-Sunday during an attack. He was again hit in the forehead on the Wednesday by a piece of German shell, and, I am sorry to say, was shot through the arm as we were getting him over the parapet. That was yesterday, so he had been missing eight days. You will be glad to hear that he is in hospital, and the doctor says likely to do quite well, although he is weak and thin. I thought you would like to know this as soon as possible, - Yours, very truly, C.G Rawling, Com, - I Brigade."

Two days later a letter was sent from the Chaplain at the Bae Hospital, in which he states : -

"Private Sydney Oakes asks me to tell you he is wounded in the right arm and head. He is getting on quite nicely in spite of his severe wounds. He is very cheerful, and we will do our best for him - Sincerley yours, (Rev) N V Ridgeway, C.F"

Last weekend word was received by the police authorites that he had succumbed to his wounds, and this was quickly followed by the official War Office notification.

The deceased soldier only enlisted on December 12th last , and received his preperotary training at Kemmel Park, Rhyl. He was drafted into the RWF and early this year was sent out to France. His death at the age of 20 is a severe blow to his father and other relatives , who have received numerous expressions of sympathy.

In expression of the lads early decease, the following letters were received from the Sister In Charge., Ward 9, No.5 General Hospital, France. -

Dear Mrs Glassey, I regret to have to report the serious condition of your Grandson, Private Oakes, 56224. He was admitted to my ward suffering from severe wounds in the head and right arm. The latter wound was so serious that it was found neccesary to take his arm off. The boy is in a dangerous condition. Everything is being done for him, and he will have every care and attention. I will write again and let you know how the boy is, though I'm afraid there is only a small hope of his recovery - Yours sincerley, Sister In Charge" (09.06.1917)

The day following, the Sister wrote again, as follows -

I regret to say that Private S Oakes died last night at 10:30pm. He had been unconscious most of the day, so I feel sure he did not suffer. We did everything that could be done to pull him through but his wounds were so severe ly infected that all efforts failed. The boy was too ill to give me any message or to express any wishes. Please accept my sympathy in your trouble - Yours sincerley, Sister In Charge"

What gets me is the fact that a Brigade Commander felt it necessary to write a very personal letter to the next of kin. It's the first time I've come across such a high rank communicating with the family of a Private. The letters certainly are a change to the usual "He did not suffer" routine. Although the Sister says he did not suffer the night he passed away, it's hard to imagine what was going through Sydney's mind when lying alone and severely wounded for eight days.

The picture I have of Pte Oakes came out too dark. I plan on getting a better copy on my next visit.

RIP Pte Oakes.

Thanks for posting this Nick - an amazing story. I have just looked through my war diary collection but, annoyingly, I do not have 2/RWF for that period. They would almost certainly have been in the Croisilles - Fontaine area of the Hindenburg Line though.

Nick,

Further to your post on Sydney Oakes, here is the entry re his brother Samuel and also Sydney`s entry in my database.

Harry

Gnr Samuel Oakes

No.186015

191st Siege Battery

Royal Garrison Artillery

Born : Widnes, Lancashire.

Enlisted : Widnes on 27th December, 1917.

Resided : 19 Moon Street, Widnes.

Killed in action in France on 13th September, 1918, aged 31.

Buried at Quent Road Cemetery, Plot VII, Row F, Grave 8.

Commemorated at St Ambrose church in Halton View, Widnes.

The son of Thomas & Martha Oakes, he was the elder brother of Sydney

Oakes. (See next entry) Samuel Oakes had been educated at Simms Cross

school and was member of St Ambrose parish. Prior to his enlistment he

worked at the Moss Bank Works and after training went to France in March,

1918.# WWN 1918.

Pte Sydney John William Oakes

No.56244

2nd Bn, The Royal Welsh Fusiliers

19th Bde, 33rd [New Army] Division.

Born : Widnes, Lancashire.

Enlisted : Widnes on 12th December, 1916.

Resided : 19 Moon Street, Widnes.

Died of wounds in France on 9th June, 1917, aged 20.

Buried at St Sever Cemetery Extension, Plot II, Row K, Grave 118.

Commemorated at St Ambrose church in Halton View, Widnes.

The younger brother of Samuel Oakes, he had been educated at Simms Cross

school and worked at the Muspratt Works in Widnes before he joined up.

Slightly wounded in the upper arm on Whit Sunday, it would seem that

Sydney Oakes stayed in the trenches after treatment from a stretcher bearer.

The local paper reported that he was hit again the following Wednesday in the

forehead by a piece of shrapnel. His comrades lifted him over the parapet, and

as they did so, he was severely wounded in the same arm that had been

injured on Whit Sunday. The article goes on to say that he was reported as

“missing for eight days in No Man`s Land” and eventually evacuated to a

Casualty Clearing Station. Whether this was the case will never be known.

Surgeons later amputated the arm that had been hit twice and he succumbed

to his wounds soon after.# WWN 1917.