Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching my grandads cousin

dave8888

Hello all, need some help......

Ive been researching a relative - George bredin kitson - and have already found a photograph, and the cemetary in France where he now lies.

He joined the 1st battalion H.A.C in 1914 and died 01/04/15 somewhere in France or Flanders (according to the war graves commision website).

He lies in LE TOUQUET-PARIS PLAGE COMMUNAL CEMETERY .

His army number was 875.

I believe he might of been wounded and was sent to The Duchess of Westminister's Hospital (No.1 B.R.C.S) of which all the casualties in the cemetary were a patient at the time.

The H.A.C. roll of honour says only that he 'died on 01/04/15' , no indication of killed in action/died of wounds that most of the other soldiers show.

What i want to know is where were the 1st battalion H.A.C around this date and how can ifind out in more detail his cause of death.

Many thanks, Dave

As well as his medal card, his Service Record is also on Ancestry, but mistranscribed as "George Bedin Nitson"

He attested for 2nd Bn HAC on 4 August 1914 at Armoury House, Finsbury EC, aged 20.

Embarked Southampton 17/9/14.

Admitted No.7 Field Ambulance at ?Loere with bronchitis 15/3/15.

Transferred to Bailleul 18/3/15.

Admitted ?2nd British Red Cross, Le Touquet, with bronchitis 18/3/15.

Died at "West.Hosp." (?D. of Westminster's), Le Touquet, of influenzal pneumonia 1/4/15.

Adrian

EDIT: "Discharged in consequence of having died of bronchitis [sic] 1/4/15 at No.1 British Red Cross (Duchess of Westminster's) Hospital Le Touquet."

welcome to the forum!

I've a subscription to Ancestry so able to do a quick look up with the info you supplied.

His embarkation date is listed as 18/9/14. Looks like his medals were not picked up by family as there's a note from the London Records requesting authorisation to dispose of medals 6/6/22.

Soldiers Died in the Great War has him borm in and resident in Mottingham, Kent.

birth record for Q4 1893, London.

1871 census has a 28year old Edward Bredin Blake Kitson in Kent, Chaplain 4th Class to HM Forces, born Malta. Any links to your man?

Thanks to both of you for the very interesting information!!!!

Such a shame that he fell ill and eventually died of bronchitis, sounds like a long drawn out death.........

And yes , he was a resident of Mottingham kentwhen he left home. More info -

'Son of George A. N. Kitson (Lt. rtd. R.M.A.), and Elizabeth H. J. Kitson, of 161, Mason's Hill, Bromley, Kent.

Any idea what R.M.A stands for???

I have two more relatives (grandad in RAMC and his brother) to search for, hope i can rely on your help if i get stuck.......!

Once again, many thanks.....

The HAC roll of honour and cwwg has him in the 1st battalion?

Edited by dave8888

RMA = Royal Marine Artillery

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/22597/pages/727/page.pdf

George Andrew Noble Kitson died 6th January 1926 so no idea why he didn't collect the sons medals. His probate record lists his address as St Gilda's, 161 Mason Hill, Bromley, Kent. Probate to Elizabeth Harriet Jane Kitson, wife.

He's listed in the Oxford Alumni database as second son of Edward Kitson of Woolwich. Attended Keble College, Oxford and matriculate 18/10/1870 aged 26.

A bit about the family here

http://www.gillinghamanglican.org.uk/history/langham/

Hi Dave

I've got the HAC diary for September 1914 - June 1915 if you need any look ups for particular days done.

According to it, embarkation was 18th September on board the SS Westmeath and they arrived off St Nazaire on the 20th.

George Andrew Noble Kitson died 6th January 1926 so no idea why he didn't collect the sons medals.

He did! The service record contains the receipt for the British War & Victory Medals, signed by G.A.N. Kitson on 7 Nov 1922 acknowledging receipt of them.

Adrian

He attested for 2nd Bn HAC on 4 August 1914 at Armoury House, Finsbury EC, aged 20.

Hi

Just checking the LLT and the 2/1st HAC wasn't formed until September and didn't go overseas until 1916.

I think that thing that looks like "2nd HAC" on the form is actually "Inf. HAC"

Im totally taken aback at all this info you guys are providing.................thank you all so much.

Looks like his family was well to do judging by his father and the links to the church/parish website...

Have to sign off now as getting up for work early, will sign in tomorrow .

I would love to know where he was france/flanders. My father and i visited ypres this year (stayed ate Hooge chateau) and would be great to know if he was in that area in 1914/15!!!

Just a quickie before i go, grandad was called Alfred Pritchard and served in the RAMC.

went to ancestry for medal cards and found 2 of the same name/regiment. He survived the war so abviously ncant get info from cwwg!!!

Here are the two;

regiment number - 127466 private

- 97578 private

any chance of a quick check on these two to find out which one was born/living in Kent, hence being my grandfather........thanks, Dave.

Hi Johnny, got the photo from that site and the grave info, thanks for looking though.....

Hi Dave

I've got the HAC diary for September 1914 - June 1915 if you need any look ups for particular days done.

According to it, embarkation was 18th September on board the SS Westmeath and they arrived off St Nazaire on the 20th.

Hi Mate, any info on what part of the line they would of been on?

Dave. This is a quick list of the main 'Names' at the side of the Diary entries:

September 1914 St Nazaire - Le Mans

October 1914 Le Mans (loads of training happening)

November 1914 St Omer - Bailleul - Estaires - Les Lobes - Bailleul - Neuve Eglise - Westoutre - Sherpenberg

December 1914 Sherpenberg - Kemmel - Westoutre - Kemmel - Locre - Kemmel (a few months of rotation. Trenches at kemmel. Billets at Locre, Westoutre)

January 1915 Locre - Kemmel - <->

February 1915 Locre - Kemmel - <->

March 1915 Kemmel - Westoutre - St Eloi - Dickebushe

April 1915 Dickebushe - St Eloi <->

May 1915 Ridgewood - Elzenwalle <->

June 1915 Elzenwalle - Vlamertinge - Hooge

Just a quickie before i go, grandad was called Alfred Pritchard and served in the RAMC.

went to ancestry for medal cards and found 2 of the same name/regiment. He survived the war so abviously ncant get info from cwwg!!!

Here are the two;

regiment number - 127466 private

- 97578 private

any chance of a quick check on these two to find out which one was born/living in Kent, hence being my grandfather........thanks, Dave.

Hi Johnny, got the photo from that site and the grave info, thanks for looking though.....

127466 has a service record on Ancestry. 39 New Church Road, Camberwell. Aged 19 when attested 1917. Short at 4ft 11.5ins. Father given as William Pritchard of same address.

127466 has a service record on Ancestry. 39 New Church Road, Camberwell. Aged 19 when attested 1917. Short at 4ft 11.5ins. Father given as William Pritchard of same address.

Hi mate, yes, thats him.Address ,age etc all match up! My nan used to tell my dad that ' daddy used to carry people on stretchers in the war'..........

Also, he was very short which led us to believe that is why he was picked as a stretcher bearer.

How can i find out more about where he served etc?

Thanks again.

Here is the picture of George Bredin Kitson i found online on the HAC site, just to show you all the man that started this topic.........

post-56111-095588100 1281549396.jpg