Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Kent Regiment (Buffs)

norfolk5

Hello all,

Just hoping someone can help,I have just come across details of my grandfathers great war service,in as much that he served with the East Kent Regiment (Buffs).I spend a lot of my time tracing casualties from both wars one and two,but have little or no knowledge of regiment history etc.

He suffered from shell shock all of his life up until 1982 and never spoke of his war service.Any information as to their theatres of war etc. would be much appreciated just to know his history,he served from 14/18 with hospital after,

Best regards Tim.

This is the basic overview from the LLT link above, to get you started: http://www.1914-1918.net/buffs.htm. Looks like you'll need to narrow down his battalion a little. If you post his name and number the experts might be able to draw out more information.

That is all the info I have from the added text on a old photo,his name was Arthur William Larner,but here the info ends.

That is all the info I have from the added text on a old photo,his name was Arthur William Larner,but here the info ends.

Have now found his number,Pte A W Larner No.6292 East Kent Regiment.

Hope this helps.

n5

Yes,I found it too ! He has three units and three numbers on the Medal Card:

6292 East Kent

ES/58681 Army Service Corps

499912 Labour Corps.

You can get the East Kent Battalion he landed in France with from the original Medal Roll which is at Kew under WO329/2029 page 20222.There is not a clear candidate for which Battalion as he might have been a replacement for losses to the 2nd,6th or 7th,all of which were already in theatre on the date of his landing,and may have been a latecomer for the 8th,which first landed in early Sept 1915.

His card shows an address of Market Street,Shipdham, Thetford,Norfolk.

He was entitled to three campaign medals,and first landed in France on 24.9.1915.

Sotonmate

And some of his service papers have survived. 4 pages under 58681 and 9 under 6292.

[Edited to add: as I expected, the 6292 papers will show his later service, as the numbers appear in sequence]

n5

Yes,I found it too ! He has three units and three numbers on the Medal Card:

6292 East Kent

ES/58681 Army Service Corps

499912 Labour Corps.

You can get the East Kent Battalion he landed in France with from the original Medal Roll which is at Kew under WO329/2029 page 20222.

His card shows an address of Market Street,Shipdham,Thetford,Norfolk.

He was entitled to three campaign medals,and first landed in France on 24.9.1915.

Sotonmate

Thanks for that Sotonmate,you have now solved a 90 year family mystery,well done and many thanks,

Tim.

And some of his service papers have survived. 4 pages under 58681 and 9 under 6292.

[Edited to add: as I expected, the 6292 papers will show his later service, as the numbers appear in sequence]

Many thanks Verrico2009,you have all helped settle a mystery,

Tim.

Verrico

Does the 6292 show a Battalion for his first landing ?

I suspect that he was probably at Loos for 25/26 Sept 1915 and the resultant unit moves as a result of him possibly being wounded there and having reduced fitness.

Sotonmate

Glad to have been able to help. If you can't resolve which battalion he was with, I'd be happy to look it up on my next visit to Kew (beginning of September) or someone might well beat me to it.

If only they were all so easy to pin down! No - I enjoy the challenge, really!

Does the 6292 show a Battalion for his first landing ?

I suspect that he was probably at Loos for 25/26 Sept 1915 and the resultant unit moves as a result of him possibly being wounded there and having reduced fitness.

Sotonmate

Sorry, Sotonmate - was busy reading away, getting into the "people" aspect! It's quite hard to read and nothing on the front page, but the column I would expect to give "battn or coy" is as follows:-

"the Buffs" - "3" until he joins the BEF and is posted 24.9.15, when it says "6". A posting on 17.11.15 seems to read "D".

There's then a blank line, followed by:-

"The Buffs 3rd Posted 6.1.16"

Is that what you're looking for? Will keep looking.

V and N5

Yes,it looks like he was due to the 6th Battalion on landing in France,it was already there within 12 Division so he was probably in a replacement batch for casualties.

Sotonmate