Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

de Ruvigny's Roll of Honour

daggers

Please could someone look for the entry of Samuel Tudor BARR, 3rd Hussars, died 1915, and let me have an extract?

Many thanks in advance,

Daggers

Daggers,

I can't load the scanned image, so here's a copy of the text

BARR, SAMUEL TUDOR, Lieut,, 3rd King's Own Hussars, only s. of Sir James Barr, M.D., LL.I)., F.R.C.P., F.K.S.E., Consulting Physician, Liverpool Royal Infirmary, Lieut.-Col. R.A.M.C., by his wife, Isabella Maria, dau. of John Woolley ; b. Liverpool, 2 May, 1883; educ.Liverpool College and Sandhurst: gazetted 2nd Lieut. 3rd Hussars, 18 Jan. 1902, and became Lieut, 0 June, 1906 ; served with his regt. in India and South Africa ; came home on leave in Jan. 1909, and while on a holiday in Switzerland met with an accident, falling down a crevasse, from which his father succeeded in extricating him. They afterwards missed their way, were discovered by a search party of Swiss guides the following morning, and brought down in the afternoon. Tudor Barr suffered

severely from frost bite and lost all his toes, nevertheless he rejoined his regt.. in South Africa towards the latter part of the year, but finding the work too much for him in the then sensitive condition of his feet, he resigned in 1910. He then joined the South Irish Horse, and being a very keen and successful polo player, took a farm and trained polo ponies; this not being a financial success, he retired from the Army in 1912 and went to Rhodesia with the view of settling there. On the outbreak of war he at once came home, travelling 10,000 miles at his own expense. He reached England early in October, at once volunteered,

and was gazetted Lieut. 25 Nov. 1914. He was first engaged training cavalry reserves at Shorncliffe. then joined the Reserve of his old regt., the 3rd Hussars, at Uouen, and from there attached to the 20th Hussars then in the trenches. He was killed in action, near Zillcbeke, 23 Feb. 1915; unm. Col. Kennedy, of the 3rd Hussars, wrote: " In the old days in India, your son was

always in my squadron, and he was a capital officer and one who, I am sure, would have been to the fore in this war, had he been spared. It was bad luck that when he came out we were full up with officers, and this is the reason why he volunteered to go temporarily to the 20th Hussars. . . . You grieve for an only son, and we for a brave and gallant comrade." And Col. Edwards, of the 20th Hussars : " Your son had been attached to the 20th Hussars for some two months and did excellent work with us. He was a most energetic and keen officer, and had he been spared would, I am sure, have done very well indeed." Another officer wrote : " A braver soldier or a truer friend never lived."

Kevin

Kevin

Here's the pic. Sorry the quality is poor - original is not great.

post-14525-098292400 1281457829.jpg

Chris

Here is a readout from Bond of Sacrifice Vol 2.

http://s888.photobucket.com/albums/ac88/tomburnell/Barr/?action=view&current=Barr2.jpg

http://s888.photobucket.com/albums/ac88/tomburnell/Barr/?action=view&current=Barr2.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs888.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fac88%2Ftomburnell%2FBarr%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DBarr3.jpg%26

Enjoy.

Regards.

Tom.

Tom

I have just found your post with extra detail and a better photo. An interesting character, as were so many.

Thanks all round.

Daggers