Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Reynolds

abbrover

29572 Private Thomas Reynolds joined 'A' Coy. 7th Bn. South Lancashire Regiment in the field on 11 December 1916. Can anyone tell me where the 7th Bn. were at this time

thnaks

Judith

According to the LLT, the 7th (service) battalion were part of 56th Brigade, 19th (Western ) Division.

The period in question was about a month after the Battle of the Ancre which was the final act of the Battle of the Somme. Both sides had settled down for the winter in fierce conditions.

I'm sure someone will be able to give more specific information. The war diaries for 7th Bn South Lancs are held at Kew in WO 95/2081.

Hi Judith - I take it you're aware that there are some service papers for him online? It says "Posted to Base Depot (France) British Exped Force 3.12.16". "Corps 3 S. Lan R". The records are signed off "No.4 district", but I think that's after he was KIA. I see that he died in July 1917 (http://www.cwgc.org/...asualty=1625913) and is commemorated on the Menin Gate.

A more complete version of the relevant page shows under "battn or depot" the number 8 dated 6.12.16, then 7-11.12.16 "battn or depot" becomes 7 and he is still with them when he dies.

6.12.16 - posted to 8th S Lan Regt - Rouen (reported 10.12.16).

11.12.16 - posted to 7th S Lan Regt - Coy in the Field (reported 13.12.16)

12.12.16 - Joined Bn and posted to A Coy - do (reported 17.12.16)

Thank you. I have got his service papers. I am researching all the men on my local memorial, one of whom is Thomas Reynolds. I am writing a short piece on each and wanted to say, if possible, that Thomas joined the Bn. on 11 December 1916 at ? I have all the details on where they were when he died but wanted to try and see where they were when he joined them

Judith

Member here AZUREUS was some time ago offerring info on some of 19 Division's War Diaries,whilst not the unit you seek (they were chiefly RFA)the place of deployment would be very adjacent. Perhaps the member could advise you where that was in Dec 1916. They were at the Battle of the Ancre from 13-18 November,and may have continued in that vicinity.

Sotonmate