Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots Colour Sergeant

unitedsound

Hi

Sorry about the poor quality image.

I believe that this soldier joined the Territorial Army of the Royal Scots between 1902 and 1908.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what his medals might be?

And what colour his sash is?

I assume the tunic is black?

He was killed near Ypres in 1917.

post-34757-040417000 1281444565.jpg

Well I think the first medal is the 1911 Coronation Medal, and if the 2nd, is oval as it possible appears, it is the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal (which was institued in 1908).

There is a published roll for the 1911 Coronation Medal which other forum members could help in confirming the award. The TFEM were normally announced in Army Order. Have you checked to see whether his service papers have survived with the National Archives or Ancestry, as it may confirm the TFEM. Unfortunately, I have to rush off to iron my kit ready for the next set of "earlies" (the delight of being a shift worker) otherwise I would have checked for you.

As for the sash, surely it would have been red.

Sepoy

NB I have just noticed that we dont have his name!

Sepoy

Many thanks for your reply.

I should have mentioned that the image is of my Great Uncle, David Ireland Meikle. His service papers did not survive.

A brief resume of his fate can be seen beneath my posts.

I've spent the evening researching this on the web and could only come up with the TFEM, image below.

Can't thank you enough for the info on the other item which I will now search for.

cheers

David

post-34757-094741500 1281475721.jpg

Wrong Medal - the photo shows the Efficiency Medal (George VI -1st type) with "Territorial" Suspender, which can also be found with versions of the suspender including "Militia" and a number of overseas versions such as "India", etc.

The Territorial Force Efficiency Medal was the same oval shape and suspended on a ring via a green ribbon with a central yellow stripe (Honourable Artillery Company had a blue and red ribbon with yellow edge stripes). It can be found bearing the Edward VII bust or George V Field Marshall uniformed bust. After 1921 the medal became the Territorial Efficiency Medal which was subsequently replaced by the Efficiency Medal in 1930.

I will scan an example over the weekend and add it to this post.

Best regards

Sepoy

For your interest, please find attached scans of the 1911 Coronation Medal obverse and reverse.

By the way, I was wrong about a published medal roll for the 1911 Coronation Medal, I was thinking about the 1911 Dehli Durbar which was awarded to members of British Army Units serving in India. The Dehli Durbar medal was hung on the same ribbon but is a larger Medal.

post-55476-076544000 1281552873.jpg

post-55476-098533300 1281552890.jpg

Thanks for latest information Sepoy

Will check thread again next week

David

Sepoy

Many thanks for your help in identifying these medals.

Another part of the jigsaw in place.

cheers

David

sash will be scarlet.

I think the garment is the 1902 drab service drss jacket but am puzzled by presence of collar badges. It might just be the dark navy blue private purchase 'patrol', but that did not have a turned down collar which the location of the top button hints at

Many thanks for your input Grumpy.

Much appreciated

David

I was just trying to do the maths on the service required to get the TFEM. 12 years' service with war service counting double. 1908-14; 6 years... 1914-17: 3 years (6).. I don't think fatalities automatically qualified for the medal, so this seems a bit of a mystery. I was wondering if it were a Volunteer Long Service Medal instead (which os round, straight suspender, plain green ribbon - but this would have entailed pre-1908 service.

Thanks for your input Phil.

I have newspaper evidence that my Great Uncle was a Sergeant in the Royal Scots by 1908.

He was a part time Territorial who also worked in the coal mines.

He was transferred to the HLI late July 1916.

He was born in 1876 and was aged 41 when killed near Ypres.

There is no trace of his service record.

David

I am as sure as makes no diff. that pre 1908 service in the Volunteer Force battalions could be carried forward if the soldier opted to enlist in the newly formed TF battalions c. April 1908.

Further to StaffsYeoman's and Grumpy's comments, the service entitlement for the TFEM could certainly be carried forward from the Volunteers to the Territorials.

This can be seen in Edward VII issues of the TFEM.

Regards

Sepoy