Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Essex Regiment Diaries

StuartWatts

I have recently started researching my grandfather Thomas Watts' war service.

I discovered he transferred from the Bedfordshire Rgt to the Essex Rgt around April 1918 and was posted to France before receiving gunshot wounds and returning home.

I cannot read all the words on his records: On posting it says: "Trans to ESSEX Rgt Posted to 1C Bn **der AO204 of *6 Alloted New No 42857" Interestingly the date is shown as 7 AVR 1918. (The * are where I cannot read the letters)

He was appointed Lance Corpral on 22nd Apr 18 but then shown as receiving gunshot wounds on 26th April 18.

My query for help is: can anyone point me towards the Regiment diaries for this time? I hope they might state where he was serving. If I am reading it correctly this would be with 1st Batallion C Company Essex Regiment.

Many thanks for any help anyone may be able to offer.

Stuart Watts

Info on Army order AO204 is here

Hi and welcome to the forum. Once you have made 5 posts you will be able to contact Shayman by PM. Unfortunately he holds the 1st Essex War diary from May - Nov 1918 only but perhaps this may provide a little insight anyhow. Good luck in your quest.

Many thanks - that makes sense now!

S

Info on Army order AO204 is here

http://1914-1918.inv...2

Thank you Dianne, a quick learning curve and very humbling.

Thanks again,

Stuart

Hi and welcome to the forum. Once you have made 5 posts you will be able to contact Shayman by PM. Unfortunately he holds the 1st Essex War diary from May - Nov 1918 only but perhaps this may provide a little insight anyhow. Good luck in your quest.

Stuart

The 1 Essex (if that is what you want,sure it's not a 10 as opposed to a 1C,as this is not a widely seen entry for the Company,but there's always a chance it means what you say !)

War Diary is under WO95/2537 and is digital,so you can download quite a bit for 3.50 from the National Archives Catalogue.

Sotonmate

If you let us know who he is then we can check the originals for you and give you our opinion.

Steve.

Stuart

Looking at the Medal Index Card for this soldier- I interpret from that that the sequence of service was 43857 Essex Regiment,followed by 10958 Bedfordshire. The Bedfords issued his medals after the war for his first landing in a war zone with the Essex. The original Medal Roll issued by the Bedfords is to be seen on page 334 of the Ledger WO329/928 at Kew.

Sotonmate

Ah, yes. Got him now...

For me, that says 10th Battalion, not 1st.....

His record shows 52nd (Graduated) Training battalion of the Bedfordshire Regiment, then Essex Regiment, and then back to the Bedfords serving with 1st Bedfords after the war until 1920.

As Sotonmate has posted, the medal roll entry should clear up the battalion number issue.

Steve.

Stuart

Thus,you scrub round the 1 Essex War Diary reference,and instead elect for the 10th Battalion,which is also a stroke of luck as it too is digital. WO95/2038 runs from Jul 1915 to Apr 1919 and you get all of that for 3.50.

Sotonmate