Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with grandad - Thomas HORRY

chrisnolan19

hello there, I have recently joined the forum after reading through some of the interesting facts on the long long trail site. I have a couple of questions regarding my grandad who served in the war.

He was a regular soldier in the 2nd battalion lincolnshire regt before the outbreak of the war I believe. I have found 2 medal index cards for him, the first shows his disembarkation date as 16 nov 1914 which is when I think the 2nd battalion arrived in france. It shows the award of the war medal and the victory medal but not the star. The second card shows his mention in despatches published in gazette 1 jan 1916.

My question is this, why was he not awarded a star, either the 1914 or 1915, I thought this medal was awarded to all soldiers who went to france and as he was later mentioned in despatches he obviously fought there. He had been promoted to LCpl by this time.

Another question is there any way to find out which battle he won the MID or is it just guess work, not sure how long the deed was done before it was published in the gazette.

Last question, tales passed down through the family suggest that he was one of the first soldiers to be brought home to Gainsborough from the front line and there was an article in the local newspaper at the time but I have been unable to find any mention in the Gainsborough News or Lincolnshire Echo so far, how can I find out whether this was true.

Sorry for the rambling for my first post, just excited to finally have found a useful site that may be able to help me find out a bit more and put some meat on the bones of my family tree.

Hello Chris.

He was awarded the 1914 Star. The clerical work is a little different on this type of card from many of them. It is a 1914 Star Campaign card with the 1914 Star Medal Roll reference of F/1/4/42

These cards would have been made up in 1917 or 1918 when the 1914 Stars were issued. When the BWM/VM was issued the medal roll reference for them was added to these cards as a stamp.

Steve.

Here is the link to his MID in the London Gazette:

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29422/supplements/35

Horry, No. 8687 Lance-Corporal T. E.

The despatch note on page 1 reads as follows:

War Office,

1st January, 1916.

The following despatch has been received by the Secretary of State for War from the Field-Marshal Commanding-in-Chief the British

Army in France: —

SIR,

General Headquarters,

30th November, 1915.

In accordance with the last paragraph of my Despatch of the 15th October, 1915, I have the honour to bring to notice the names of those

whom I recommend for gallant and distinguished service in the field.

I have the honour to be,

Sir,

Your obedient servant,

J. D. P. FRENCH,

Field-Marshal, Commanding-in-Chief

The British Army in France.

The despatch referred to is this one:

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29347/supplements/10753

It covers the period between 2nd June 1915 and 8th October 1915, and the MIDs should be for work and deeds during this period (in theory). However, 8th Division had a fairly quiet time from June to September 1915 - with a limited part being played in a diversionary attack to the battle of Loos in September, so the MIDs may include the battles at Fromelles / Rouge Bancs on 9th May 1915 ?

EDIT: I've just had a look at the 2nd Northamptons in the same (8th) Division, and the previous Gazette looks like it is MIDs for the battle of Neuve Chapelle in March 1915, whilst the January 1916 includes men I know were commended for deeds at Fromelles on the 9th May 1915.

Steve.

WOW, many thanks for your speedy response. I wasn't expecting a reply so quickly.

The despatch made very interesting reading and I will now look further into the battles mentioned. I can now let my old dad know that his father was awarded the 1914 star too so he can add to his memory box.

thanks again

Chris

Hi Chris

I have the BWM/VM Medal Roll if you would like a copy, just pop me your email address.

Dick

Also found a reference to him in 'D' Company, if you would like a copy of that too.

D

Chris

Have you tried the Gainsborough Heritage Centre for details on Tom Horry?

Dick

Thank you Dick, I would love a copy of the medal roll and the info you have on him from D company

my email is cmnolan19@hotmail.com

will look up the Gainsborough Heritage Centre and see if they have anything on him

Chris

Chris

Will get the mentions of Tom Horry off to you when I get home from work.

Dick

Email sent.

DW

all emails received, thank you. have contacted gainsborough heritage to see if they have any further information and in the meantime will try and continue my search and try and find some of his brothers who also served in the Lincoln Regiment

Hi Chris

If he was a regular with the 2nd Battalion he would have been in Bermuda prior to the outbreak of war. They returned to the U.K in october 1914 and left Hursley Park, Winchester on 5 November for France.

My uncle was also a regular with the 2nd Battalion, No.8837. He enlisted in Holbeach, on 17th Jan 1910, which may have been around the time when Thomas Horry enlisted.

Andy

thank you Andy, have confirmed he was in D company 2nd battalion in Bermuda in 1912.

We think he enlisted around the Louth area in sept/oct 1909

...and Gibraltar from December 1911 to January 1914 when they went to Bermuda.

Andy

thanks for the info Andy, so he would have been in both Gibralta and Bermuda before the war, have confirmed the Bermuda theory but is there a way to check on the Gibralta one, also would there be a way to find out what happened to him after the war. He left the army as a drill sergeant so obviously stayed in the army for at least a short while before going back to Gainsborough.